Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Talk about Digital Zuiko, Leica and Sigma glassware for your camera.

Old 5th September 2012
Animal Portraitist

Liked 98 Times in 70 Posts
Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

I see a great deal of value in a 12-60/2.8 and a 50-200/2.8, and I'm willing to pay a price premium and carry a slightly larger lens for these ranges with wide apertures. The variable apertures of the 4/3 versions--2.8-4 and 2.8-3.5--are an acceptable compromise if the cost and size of a constant f/2.8 would be unreasonable. But I would hate to see the zoom ranges shrink, or even change much. I originally bought into 4/3 specifically because of these lenses; the ranges are just perfect for my purposes.

Nearly everyone makes a decent 24-70/2.8 equivalent. The Panasonic 12-35 is a great example, and it's an excellent lens. But I find it too short on the long end. A 14-XX wouldn't be quite wide enough to satisfy me; I would need a second lens to cover the wider focal lengths, and the two together would cost and weigh more than a 12-60 would. The suggested 20-70 is worthless to me because it's barely a wide-angle. Cutting the range of the 50-200 (say to 50-150) would leave me in the same boat as cutting the range of the 12-60--it would necessitate adding another lens to cover the long end. Two lenses will almost always cost and weigh more than a zoom that covers both.

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
Old 5th September 2012
alsoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

So many lenses have been suggested already, but (if not simply reproduce all the good SHG and HG lenses for Four thirds in Micro Four thirds (and that does not seem to be Olympus strategy (but Panasonics perhaps?) the following (not yet mentioned) are in my view of great useability:

A 50 mm f 1.4 (the 45 mm f 1.8 of Oly is close, but not the same), a 10 mm f2.8 and a 100 or 150 mm f.2.

The 1,4 x converter I have for Four thirds is really valuable - with the 25 mm f 1.4 you get a 35 mm f2, with the Sigma 50 mm f. 1.4 (which is really not bad, but Olympus could surely improve) you get 70 mm f 2.

With the converter and the 12, 25 and a new 50 mm f 1.4 as suggested you will have covered 12 - 75 mm f 2 (or less). Off course you need to exchange the lenses, but the package would still be relatively small (and unparalleled in any other system). !

And off course a direct suggestion to Olympus ( make those 12, 45 and 75 mm lenses already launched in black!!).
Old 5th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
To be honest, I could sling a number of Micro Four Thirds lenses into a small bag and still have room to spare...

Ian
Very true in the case of primes, but the thing is:-
  1. the more frequently you change the lens on a m43 mirrorless body, the more likely it will be that some dirt which cannot be removed by the SSWD system gets in front of the sensor.
  2. Also the current dearth of splashproof zoom lens means that changing (prime) lenses in dubious weather would be a bad idea. Hence my request for a 14-75 HG splashproof zoom. Shouldn't be too difficult - we know that Olympus can do excellent HG x5 zooms.
Old 5th September 2012
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Very true in the case of primes, but the thing is:-
  1. the more frequently you change the lens on a m43 mirrorless body, the more likely it will be that some dirt which cannot be removed by the SSWD system gets in front of the sensor.
  2. Also the current dearth of splashproof zoom lens means that changing (prime) lenses in dubious weather would be a bad idea. Hence my request for a 14-75 HG splashproof zoom. Shouldn't be too difficult - we know that Olympus can do excellent HG x5 zooms.
Good point - we need more sealed lenses (and of course bodies!).

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 5th September 2012
Kiwi

Liked 38 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Certainly a 1.4x teleconverter would be useful and, methinks, easy to make.
But until they have a reasonably fast telephoto lens whats the point, who wants to use a f5.6 300mm lens with a 1.4x? it would just be too slow.

Paul

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
Flickr
Old 5th September 2012
Kiwi

To be honest and Zuiko won't be happy to hear this but I find the Lumix 7-14, 12-35, 25 and the to be released 35-100 to be all I want.
I find they are the perfect combo of size, quality, speed, build and focal range and suit me perfectly.
For those wanting a 12-60 f2.8, look at the Lumix 12-35 and the size of it (just right) now if you extend it to 60mm and keep f2.8 suddenly I see a big lens, same with a 50-200 f2.8, BIG, it seems the advantage of m4/3 in lens size terms diminishes as focal lengths increase so we have to stay realistic.

As far as teleconvertors go, whats the point until they have at a f4.0 200mm or 300mm lens, who wants to use a teleconvertor with the current selection of m4/3 telezooms, f5.6 with ok IQ?, put that through a TC and I see very slow and very average IQ to say the least.

Paul

RX100

Flickr
Old 5th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me, I want a 9mm f2 prime, with a small switch to automagically change it to f11 and fix the focus for street use with everything from 3" to infinity in focus...

But I'd settle for a 9mm f3.2 or a 5.5mm f2 that lives up to the equivalent glass on the original Zuikos (18mm and 21mm lenses)...
Old 5th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
For those wanting a 12-60 f2.8, look at the Lumix 12-35 and the size of it (just right) now if you extend it to 60mm and keep f2.8 suddenly I see a big lens, ...
Paul
Paul,
I think it's Panasonic's in-lens Mega-OIS which adds substantially to the diameter and weight of their lenses. If you compare those Panasonic and Olympus m43 lenses which have similar specs , the Olympus versions are significantly smaller.
Old 5th September 2012
Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Paul,
I think it's Panasonic's in-lens Mega-OIS which adds substantially to the diameter and weight of their lenses. If you compare those Panasonic and Olympus m43 lenses which have similar specs , the Olympus versions are significantly smaller.
I disagree, Lumix seem very good at keeping lens size down, look at the pancakes and the 45-150 and 45-175, both have OIS and are very compact and the 45-175 even has internal zooming.
The 25mm 1.4 has no OIS but is as compact as a lens with those specs can be.
It boils down to physics, you want a certain focal length with a certain aperture there is a minimum size for any particular format, I don't believe adding OIS makes any significant difference.

Paul

RX100

Flickr
Old 5th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If I take my Oly 45 and my Pany 25 in the hand I can surely say that Oly is much better in providing light and compact lenses ...

Same applies to 75-300mm/100-300mm, 14-150/14-140mm (most I don't own but I had them in my hands)

So I "realistically believe" Oly is able to build a reasonable sized 12-60/2.8-3.5 mFT lens which is number one on my wishlist, see above.

And even in case the theoretical new 25mm Oly is as "large" as the Oly 45mm, my Pany 25 has to go ...