Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

Old 13th November 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Designate Fn2 button to silent shutter?

Confess, a new relative new-comer to the MFT world (from Nikon DX). Enjoying the flexibility of/in being able to customize button functions and have done so with several. Hoping to control the silent shutter option with my Fn2 button, but not quite sure if or how I can do so? Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Todd
Old 14th November 2016
Old Fool

Liked 170 Times in 87 Posts
Re: Designate Fn2 button to silent shutter?

Hi

I see you have an E-M1, the only way I can think of doing this is to make up the setting you need including electronic shutter and save them into a myset.
Then set the FN2 button to that myset number.
The only thing with this is the will revert to the settings before you pushed the FN2 button when it goes to sleep or is powered down.
The way round this is to set that myset to a function on the mode dial which you don't use, then it will stay with these settings.

Hope this makes sense, others may have other solutions.

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/
The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
hschnee (14th November 2016)
Old 15th November 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Andym,

I'd actually given that path some thought, just never got to studying how to go about it. Obviously, I'm looking for the lazy way to get there.

While I'm still on the fence with the EVF, I am growing to like the camera more and more. Tried to catch some lunar shots last nite, and trying to figure out how to manually focus with it on a big white dot was simply hopeless! Never had an issue with an optical VF. Hopefully I'll eventually figure that out, too. Hard part is I'll often go maybe 2 or 3 weeks w/o touching the camera, then trying to recall every mod I've made and how to get to it becomes very un-fun. Guess I just need to use it more. Thanks again for your advice.

Todd
Old 15th November 2016
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolnago View Post
Thanks Andym,

I'd actually given that path some thought, just never got to studying how to go about it. Obviously, I'm looking for the lazy way to get there.

While I'm still on the fence with the EVF, I am growing to like the camera more and more. Tried to catch some lunar shots last nite, and trying to figure out how to manually focus with it on a big white dot was simply hopeless! Never had an issue with an optical VF. Hopefully I'll eventually figure that out, too. Hard part is I'll often go maybe 2 or 3 weeks w/o touching the camera, then trying to recall every mod I've made and how to get to it becomes very un-fun. Guess I just need to use it more. Thanks again for your advice.

Todd
Get the exposure right and then the details of the moon will be visible and you can focus quite easily. Manual focus is definitely the way to go, as well as manual exposure. Try ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/1000th. Avoid over exposure! Remember the moon moves quite fast so a reasonably fast shutter speed is required even if the camera is on a tripod. Turn off IS too.

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 15th November 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shooting manual, 1/250 @ f11, ISO 200. (40-150 f2.8 pro lens). Think I'm ok on that. My issue is the image I see in my EVF does not truly reflect the image I am actually recording. Even bumping speed up to 1/8000 (f-stop and ISO remaining unchanged) does not change the image I see (big white blob) in my EVF. Was figuring this is just the way EVF behave?

If the EVF image is supposed to appear as the same as the actual image I am recording, then I'm guessing I've somehow turned on some type of EVF visual 'modifier' (or something) that is overriding how the EVF should behave? Just not sure how to figure out how to get it back to where it should be.

Todd
Old 15th November 2016
Animal Portraitist

Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

I'm not sure about the E-M1, but on the E-M5, the EVF has a setting for Boost on/off. With the EFV Boost off, it will accurately reflect the exposure settings. With EVF Boost on, it will always brighten the view when lighting is dim, and the brightness will not change with exposure settings. It may be that you have the boost on, and the camera is reading the overall exposure as too dark because of the night sky around the moon, so it increases the overall brightness to the point that the moon is just a white circle.

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
Old 15th November 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Hal,

Found a 'live view boost' that was on. Don't know if that's a default setting or I accidentally changed it, but turning it off lets me get closer to what I'd expect out of an Optical VF. It generally still brightens things up a bit more than reality, but at least now it does adjust darker/brighter relative to changes of speed or aperture settings. With how this works just seeing the adjustments in viewing to and away from my computer monitor I can see that I would in all likelihood be able to see the detail of the moon, as opposed to a 'big white blob'. Thanks again.

Todd
The Following User Says to ecolnago they like this post:
hschnee (16th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016
Aussie

Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

This was my take of the moon (the next night) as it rose higher in the sky (9:09pm Sydney, 50 minutes after moonrise).

I used Manual (on E-M1), MF with Magnified View to get the sharpest focus using the 40-150 Pro lens plus MC14 & with IBIS on Auto, being hand held. This is a cropped image.

E-M1, 40-150 Pro lens + MC14 at 210mm, ISO 200, F4.5 (because I bumped it by mistake), 1/400 sec. I admit that we may be a little closer to the equator which may also give me a little advantage in light perhaps, but that should help as a guide (I hope).

It could have been even better with the 300 F4.0 lens though (with the MC14) but I'm afraid that is just wishful thinking on my part. I can't see myself getting that lens being the price that it is.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I never use manual for the moon,auto everything,E-M10MK11 i prefer the cloud one,Leica 100-400
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB140352.jpg (25.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 30685493750_5678b5e102_o.jpg (26.5 KB, 7 views)
The Following User Says to mikew they like this post:
Ross (16th November 2016)