Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

Old 25th May 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new icon: rectangle with 3 stars

I had some spare time today and played around a bit with the myriad features of my om-d em-1 (always dangerous!) and, so far as I can tell, everything still works but a new icon has mysteriously appeared. It is a rectangle with three stylized stars overlaying it that appears in the uppermost right corner of my screen for about a second when the camera is powered on, and then disappears. I don't recall ever seeing it before in my ~2 years with this camera and I wonder if anyone knows what is denotes?

Thanks--Anatector
Old 25th May 2016
Aussie

Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts
Re: new icon: rectangle with 3 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatector View Post
I had some spare time today and played around a bit with the myriad features of my om-d em-1 (always dangerous!) and, so far as I can tell, everything still works but a new icon has mysteriously appeared. It is a rectangle with three stylized stars overlaying it that appears in the uppermost right corner of my screen for about a second when the camera is powered on, and then disappears. I don't recall ever seeing it before in my ~2 years with this camera and I wonder if anyone knows what is denotes?

Thanks--Anatector
Someone else noticed that elsewhere & also queried it, but it has been on the cameras for some time, like my E-M5 (& with a flashing blue LED on DSLR & E-P1 & 2 models) as it is the SSWF indicator (Super Sonic Wave Filter), that is, the initial sensor cleaning action at power up that shakes any dust off the sensor. With that it is best to have the camera basically in normal position to let the dust fall to the bottom of the sensor area (where I think DSLRs used to have a collection pad) & not facing down where the dust would fall onto the rear lens element etc.

The E-M1 User Manual (Version 4.0) has it on page 144.
Quote:
Cleaning and checking the image pickup device
This camera incorporates a dust reduction function to keep dust from getting on the
image pickup device and to remove any dust or dirt from the image pickup device
surface with ultrasonic vibrations. The dust reduction function operates when the
camera is turned on.
The dust reduction function operates at the same time as the pixel mapping, which
checks the image pickup device and image processing circuitry. Since dust reduction
is activated every time the camera’s power is turned on, the camera should be held
upright for the dust reduction function to be effective.
Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the displayed icon though.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Last edited by Ross; 26th May 2016 at 12:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
hschnee (26th May 2016)
Old 26th May 2016
Aussie

Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Just in case you haven't seen my last update, I have edited the above post a few times.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th May 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You've done it again Ross; makes sense.

I guess I just never noticed the icon before it disappeared from the screen--thanks for your help.

It would be nice if Olympus provided a key to the icons they use--I've been unable to find any such thing on the internet or at the Olympus site.

Anatector
The Following User Says Thank You to Anatector For This Useful Post:
Ross (26th May 2016)