Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

View Poll Results: E-M5 mk 2 or E-M1
E-M5 mk 2 0 0%
E-M1 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th May 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-M1 or E-M5 mk 2?

Hey there. Newbie member here. I had my camera bag stolen while vacationing in CA last month (all covered by insurance, thanks to the powers that be), so I'm wondering which route to go. I had an original E-M5 (w some great lenses) that I loved plenty enough, but I can't wait until September for the E-M1 mk 2. Should I go with the E-M5 mk 2 or the original E-M1?

Thanks!
Old 13th May 2016
Aussie

Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts
Re: E-M1 or E-M5 mk 2?

It all depends on what you expect out of the camera. The E-M5 Mk II might have some advantage in the area of video & 40M High Res Shot but the E-M1 has the larger buffer (allows for more continuous sequential frames) & does in camera Focus Stacking (only with certain lenses). It also has the built in grip that is really needed for any larger lenses as that is an added expense for the E-M5's, although I also use it with the HLD-7 battery grip. For myself, I prefer my E-M1 (although I haven't tried the E-M5 Mk II), since it is the only model with PD-AF pixels which works fully with my 4/3's lenses but is also used when doing C-AF with M4/3's lenses.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).