Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What would really make you unhappy?

Honestly, I it is hard to think of a way that Olympus could be any worse to us now than what they have actually done to 43rds users since 2009.

Quite frankly, I don't really expect much from them in the upcoming months. Maybe a hybrid camera that sort of focuses 43rds lenses a little better or maybe stuffing the Sony sensor in an E-3/E-5 body with some minor tweaks. I am really not expecting or hoping for anything that is truly innovative, and I don't expect much in the way of improvements in video either. Whatever they release, I am sure that it will be overpriced when compared to the competition, but might make financial sense for the few of us left with 43rds lenses rather than switching systems. Or they may not introduce anything at all to help 43rds lens owners and just keep us in limbo for a few more years with more empty promises. Olympus is a very unpredictable company.

As it is, I have made peace with my Olympus cameras (E-520, E-3 & XZ-1), Zuiko Digital lenses (14-54 MkI, 50-200 MkI, 50mm F2 macro, 8mm fisheye & 25mm pancake), and accessories (EC-14, EX-25 & two FL36R flashes). They were very well designed and were a good value during their time. I have enjoyed using this gear, and without a doubt, I have "invested" more in Olympus than any other film or digital company. For greater than 95% of the time, my Olympus gear is not limiting. However, I am concerned about longer term support and repairs in the United States, although used gear is available from several reputable sources (Adorama, B&H & KEH). So no urgency to switch to another system.

Other than possibly a hybrid, I will not buy into micro 43rds because I doubt that Olympus and Panasonic will continue to market m43rds cameras in the future. I won't get fooled again (all due respects to Pete Townshend). As for other mirror less cameras, I really like design of the Fuji XE-1, and I will keep my eye on them. I actually like "cropped" sensors, and I believe that the APS-C sensors will always be ahead of 43rds sensors. If I were to switch to Nikon or Canon, I would probably go with a cropped sensor DSLR rather than full frame.
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To answer your question, I would really be unhappy if all that Olympus offers is a hybrid m43rds camera without a built-in viewfinder.

Ugh! I bet that is what they will do!
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ian,

As a 4/3 user I would like to see Olympus come up with a 4/3 dedicated body in the line of an e-xx or e-xxx and must be weather sealed. The body should have no less than have a 16 mp process and shoot at a minimum of 7 frames for stills. The new body must be able to maximize the potential of zuiko digital lenses and must be usable with high ISO settings, at least 3200 if possible. LCD screen must have a swivel to allow users to shoot at any position. I would rather have an OVF than an EVF.

New affordable weather proof lenses to go with the new body are welcome.

Oops! That's what'll make me happy. I guess what will make me unhappy would be:
(1) Minor tweaks on the current 4/3 system having a little improvement or the same outcome and;
(2) An adaptor on a m4/3 promising that things will get better but actually will never happen.

Last edited by jpmiloilo; 12th August 2013 at 10:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpmiloilo For This Useful Post:
Wee man (13th August 2013)
Old 12th August 2013
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in NC View Post
To answer your question, I would really be unhappy if all that Olympus offers is a hybrid m43rds camera without a built-in viewfinder.

Ugh! I bet that is what they will do!
You mean you don't want a Micro Four Thirds-based solution (which by logic would not have a reflex optical viewfinder)?

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You mean you don't want a Micro Four Thirds-based solution (which by logic would not have a reflex optical viewfinder)?

Ian
A micro 43rds camera without a built in electronic viewfinder would really make me mad, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the long-awaited solution.
Old 12th August 2013
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in NC View Post
A micro 43rds camera without a built in electronic viewfinder would really make me mad, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the long-awaited solution.

Oh! You mean like the infamous Pentax K-01? That wouold be a ridiculous proposition

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Oh! You mean like the infamous Pentax K-01? That wouold be a ridiculous proposition

Ian
Yes, that would make me unhappy.
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please don't:

1. Provide a big43 solution via an adapter for an m43 body which loses some light. There is a reason I lashed out all that cash on the f/2 lenses - it's f/2 and I want to keep it.

2. Require a whole new set of supporting accessories - batteries, cables, flash, cards etc.

3. Compromise what is already good about the best of both big43 and m43 - weather-sealing, general robustness, integral eye-level viewfinder (I'll be happy with electronic as long as it's good, which it sounds as though current technology is), performance in all aspects (high ISO quality for me, low ISO for the landscapers, AF speed etc.)

Good luck!
John
Old 12th August 2013
Administrator

Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

There's not much that would make me, personally, unhappy. I cannot anticipate an opportunity or a reason for upgrading my E-M5 in the foreseeable future. Anything smaller and lighter could only be marginal, considering the already diminutive size and IQ is already far greater than I actually need. Lower ISO and faster top shutter speed would be nice but wouldn't justify a huge investment on my part. Even better high ISO performance would be nice, of course, but a more cost effective way for me to improve low light performance (which is already excellent anyway) would be to invest in faster glass. In fact, if I do chance upon any spare cash it will be directed towards lenses. That's why I'm more interested by the prospect of a new, fast, wide to telephoto zoom from Olympus.

Taking a less parochial view, it's vital for Olympus to nail the focusing issue when using 4/3 lenses on a M4/3 body, and that means sensor based PDAF which focuses those lenses as quickly as the E-5 and provides effective CAF tracking. After all the promises, nothing less will do.

Unfortunately that will still leave a few burning issues and I fear that quite a few people will be left disappointed, for several of reasons. Firstly, there are those who want a body with a native 4/3 mount, rather than utilizing an adapter. That isn't going to happen because in making a relative few people happy Olympus would disappoint many more MFT users who would not be able to use their lenses full stop. Personally, I cannot see the problem with using an adapter so long as it is sufficiently robust and weather sealed.

The second group to be disappointed will be those who want an optical finder. This won't happen, because the choice would be a small camera with a small, tunnel vision finder or a large camera (E-5 size) that would be inconceivably huge to many current MFT users.

The third group likely to be disatisfied are those who want a reasonably priced body they can use with their existing 4/3 lenses with full focusing functuality. In the main they would happily accept an EVF rather than an OVF but, being on a budget, the camera would need to be priced nearer to £600 than £1500. What would really make this group happy would be an updated E-620 with the latest 16mp Sony sensor, but that's unlikely to happen because a limited number of sales of a low priced camera with a small profit margin would not be good use of the company's limited resources.

I just hope that what is coming will prove to be an acceptible solution to the majority of 4/3 and M4/3 users.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Perriment For This Useful Post:
hschnee (12th August 2013), Ian (12th August 2013)
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I'd be unhappy to see a dinky little (retro?) body that ignores the basic ergonomics that they got so right with the E-1. That made the OM-D a no-go for me (and yes, I have small hands).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Bowman For This Useful Post:
crimbo (14th August 2013)