Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

Old 24th August 2013
Not Serious Enough

Liked 90 Times in 51 Posts
Re: OMD-EM1 Info

I think we have a good handle on the OMD EM1 (could we have a few more initials and numbers here please??) and we know about the 12-40 f2.8 zoom that's coming but we are still in the dark about what the third announcement is. Hence the speculation that it may be a real 4/3rds body...

Heart be still...
Old 24th August 2013
Not Serious Enough

I see the new 12-40 f2.8 lens is labeled PRO. Methinks a new line of m4/3rds lenses has/will be born with this product. Also looks like a nice hood may come with it...
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

That's encouraging, something labeled PRO used to be some badly made POS aimed at suckers.
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Arm Rider View Post
I think we have a good handle on the OMD EM1 (could we have a few more initials and numbers here please??) and we know about the 12-40 f2.8 zoom that's coming but we are still in the dark about what the third announcement is. Hence the speculation that it may be a real 4/3rds body...

Heart be still...
I think the 3rd announcement is another lens, 75-300 II.

I truly hope they say something about a 4/3rds body. Either yes it's on the way or nope.... we have given you the OBS and that's it. Just a definitive, clear and final statement. No language translation excuses, no more, one country Olympus guy saying one thing and another saying something else and no more, "we're working on a solution for 4/3rds users".

I could go for the EM-1 If I can mount and use my 50-200 without the lens breaking off when it is hanging by a camera strap. The versatility of moving between large 4/3rds glass and the smaller Mu4/3rds stuff interest me. Of course it all hinges on what this camera can do with my SWD lenses. BTW, the new photos up on 4/3rds rumors look great! Hard to tell the size with the new lens they have mounted but I keep hoping that it's bigger then the EM-5.
Old 24th August 2013
admin

Liked 72 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieser View Post
I think the 3rd announcement is another lens, 75-300 II.

I truly hope they say something about a 4/3rds body. Either yes it's on the way or nope.... we have given you the OBS and that's it. Just a definitive, clear and final statement. No language translation excuses, no more, one country Olympus guy saying one thing and another saying something else and no more, "we're working on a solution for 4/3rds users".

BTW, the new photos up on 4/3rds rumors look great! Hard to tell the size with the new lens they have mounted but I keep hoping that it's bigger then the EM-5.
75-300 II was announced ages ago and has been on sale for some time. Optically identical to the MkI but has ZERO coatings and a new cosmetic look, but the best news of all is that it's cheaper!

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

Of course it's cheaper, they don't have to spend tome and money coating the lens elements.
West Arm Rider (24th August 2013)
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
75-300 II was announced ages ago and has been on sale for some time. Optically identical to the MkI but has ZERO coatings and a new cosmetic look, but the best news of all is that it's cheaper!

Ian
Thanks for the correction. I guess I got my announcements and time frames mixed up. I don't own any Mu4/3rds stuff so not paying attention as I should be. Any hope for that 4/3rds body (just a little hint plz)
Old 24th August 2013
Not Serious Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieser View Post
BTW, the new photos up on 4/3rds rumors look great! Hard to tell the size with the new lens they have mounted but I keep hoping that it's bigger then the EM-5.
The photo's look good, appears to be a finished product. I'm not worried about the size per se. I get along well with my favourite camera, the E-620, in spite of what people said about the grip being to shallow, etc. The EM-1 appears to have a good hand hold and logical control layout. If we want to stay with our 4/3rd lenses (and truly, if it were not for them all of us hold outs would be long gone... probably to Sigma and the Foveon sensor because we must enjoy self flagellation to have stayed as long as we did) we will use the new camera (strange, but in truth I like Sigma and their system... a David among Goliaths). I think the third announcement is that there will be no further stand alone 4/3rds cameras...
mhobart (25th August 2013)
Old 25th August 2013
Animal Portraitist

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

If the lens rumor is correct, then I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a replacement for the 12-60 SWD. The small size and constant f/2.8 maximum aperture are very appealing, but 12-40 is simply not equivalent to 12-60.

The rumored camera photos definitely look much better than the video. Not sure I like that faux film rewind dial, though. I agree with John that the rumor/leak mill has peaked the interest a bit too soon if the official announcement is still three weeks off.

- Hal -
Old 25th August 2013

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
If the lens rumor is correct, then I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a replacement for the 12-60 SWD. The small size and constant f/2.8 maximum aperture are very appealing, but 12-40 is simply not equivalent to 12-60.

The rumored camera photos definitely look much better than the video. Not sure I like that faux film rewind dial, though. I agree with John that the rumor/leak mill has peaked the interest a bit too soon if the official announcement is still three weeks off.

- Hal -
Well, looking at the new photos that added dial on the right puts several features in convenient access. I think the central dividing bar (reminiscent of the film crank <g>) is to provide a tactile reference to distinguish the switches on the front and rear part of that dial.

The front switch has icons for multiple exposures, the standard Olympus self-timer logo, and an "HDR" label Perhaps it has been mentioned elsewhere in the many comments/rumors, but I had missed that the new body was going to have built-in specific HDR support (yes I know we've had exposure bracketing support forever <g>).

The rear switch has AF and the standard Olympus autofocus area selection logo.

Having these various features available by switch select rather than having to pull away from the camera and use the rear dial switches to select them will aid operation.

Of course, It would not surprise me in the least if the Olympus menus become even more complicated. This is in part understandable given that they offer a very large amount of control over the camera functions and features. I hope that these two switches will be customizable for one's individual preferences :-)

Going slightly off-topic, I think it would be useful if Olympus would get someone with demonstrated expertise in human interface design to come in and do a thorough evaluation and possibly a redesign of their menu system. As they have kept adding features to the cameras the menu has become quite complicated. This hurts Olympus as the menus are hard to navigate, and added features appear to have been put in place by the same engineers who designed them (and thus know what's available and are familiar with them). They offer some user-customizable setups one can save, but configuring them can take time given all of the features and the existing menu system.

I'm really optimistic about this camera body. Having to save my $$$ to afford it will give me time to look over the lab and the hands-on reviews and to read the manual as soon as it is available to download. I expect (hope) that it will live up to it's rumored performance with FT lenses.