Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > General discussion

General discussion Here is the place to discuss photography topics that may not be specific to one of the other board topics on this forum.

Old 4th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: What are they up to now??

Jeff

Exactly my sentiments. I have a few 4thirds lenses, and 2 bodies, E-510 & E-620, At the time they were new they could hold up against any other camera for picture quality and still do to a certain extent. After seeing some shots from a Nikon D5100 in dynamic range, noise and definition, its fairly obvious that the Oly sensors are now out classed in almost all departments. They were never up there with the best anyway above 800 ISO. At the moment, its the Sony sensor equipped cameras that lead the field. Can 4thirds ever compete with a Pentax K5, Sony Alpha A65, Nikon D5100 etc etc?
However, it may gratify you to read Steve Huff's article on 'The pixel Myth'.

Lets hope we see a new 4thirds body but please not at pro level because the vast majority of 4thirds users are/were using the mid range cameras such as the 510, 520, 620, 30 etc. and would probably jump ship if all we saw was yet another £1000 + body!!

Pete
Old 4th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree we do need an affordable fourthirds SLR or two. There may be many people going m43 myself included but there are still many who prefer a more traditional camera. As an example a friend of mine recently bought a Nikon 5100 SLR as as he wanted an optical viewfinder. He narrowed it down to a Canon D600 or Nikon 5100 while he did look at the E-P3 and really liked the camera he was put off by no optical viewfinder. He doesn`t like EVFs no matter how good. Many people still think like this.
Anyway I wonder if this teaser from Olympus is a new SLR or could it be the pro version of the Pen?
Lets see what happens.....
Andy.
Old 4th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Andy
I have a sneaking feeling that if there is a new 4thirds body, much of the OM-D tech will be in it such as an EVF and 16mp. Although I like using my G3 which has a EVF, I much prefer an OVF, although the Oly 510 and 620 OVF are pretty small and tunnel like compared to my D90. This in my book is where the Fuji X100 and X Pro1 are so appealing with their hybrid Opto/EVF.
I have always wondered why if 4thirds and M4T is such a brilliant system why have no other camera manufacturers joined the format. Fuji had signed up to the M4T principle but never showed an interest in making a M4T and now they have announced an affordable CSC with 2 new zooms, thats sealed their future no doubt.

Pete
Old 5th May 2012
Veteran

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatapicture View Post
Andy
I have always wondered why if 4thirds and M4T is such a brilliant system why have no other camera manufacturers joined the format.
Pete
Unfortunately how manufacturers think hinders this. The thinking is that if they produce the body, then they will never sell anything else as buyers will purchase other manufacturers' lenses and accessories.
This happened with Texas Instruments with "Home Computers" (before "Personal Computers). They virtually gave away the computers figuring that they would make their profit on the overpriced software. They never thought that the consumer could purchase the software elsewhere. It almost destroyed the company.
Manufacturers are very wary of developing or adopting any "open" system for this reason

Jeff

Ian's Tata

Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think they talk sense.
—Robert Frost

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
http://jeffrey-peterson.artistwebsit...liateid=A57349
http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/
https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse
Old 6th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is good news. If it's a mid-range camera then there is hope that Olympus will continue the 4/3 system as I really want to grow into it. This may be their way of telling us that they are committed to their customers. After all it's too costly transfering from one system to another.

Last edited by jpmiloilo; 6th May 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Grammar