Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Panasonic Lumix cameras > Lumix DMC-GH2

Lumix DMC-GH2 Discuss the new Pansonic Lumix video-optimised 16MP GH2 here.

Old 18th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Sensor heats up

I am interested in GH2. But I read issues about sensor heats up after continuous video recording with other brands Dslr. How about GH2?. Pls advise.
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sensor heats up

No issues here. In fact, I was initially considering the Sony Alpha SLT-A55 but was then steered over to the DMC-GH2 primarily because of the sensor heating issues. I have made continuous HD video recordings well over 30mins without any problems with the GH2.
Old 19th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank Pat. What was the ambient temperature while recording. Under hot sun or AC room ?
Old 22nd August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The extended video recordings were made indoors with ac. Even after 1.5h of continuous shooting, the camera only feels very slightly warm on the bottom and the battery is just a little warmer but not hot. One of the reasons why this camera can cope with continuous video capturing is probably due to the size of the sensor which is significantly smaller than APS formats. For now that seems to be the necessary compromise if we want dual purpose functionality in our camera.
Old 23rd April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Canon T1i, T2i, and 7D models often had a problem with overheating. When the 60D and T3i (both with articulating/swiveling LCD like the GH2 has) hit the field there were almost no reports of overheating from those models.

The general consensus was that separating the LCD from such close proximity to the sensor allowed better cooling. So I think there is little cause for worry in that respect with the GH2.

Bruce Foreman
Old 27th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The GH2 is used by quite a few people for professional and semi-professional video. It's design is optimized for video (as well as still) rather than being an add-on. Unless you're shooting feature length movies, the GH2 should meet your needs handily.
Old 27th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
The GH2 is used by quite a few people for professional and semi-professional video. It's design is optimized for video (as well as still) rather than being an add-on. Unless you're shooting feature length movies, the GH2 should meet your needs handily.
One of the members over on hv20.com is shooting a full length feature with one GH2 as primary and a Canon T3i as b-roll. This is actually his second feature, the first was done on a Canon HV40 and he has a distribution contract on it. It will be released on DVD in the fall, original title was "Exit 101". Release title will be "Exit 101: Halloween Murders" or something like that.
Old 21st May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive got the gh2, too. i never had an issue about overheating and for my opinion the gh2 has the best qualitiy. so dont think about overheating, think about your money, its cheaper then the 7d but has a better quality - for my opinion.

regards.
Old 22nd May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard the gh2 dont heat up and thats why I want one