Thread: Move from L1 to Oly E-620?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Move from L1 to Oly E-620?

What do you think? Is it worthwhile to pick up a 620 body to try with my Leica 14-50mm 2.8/3.5 and an Oly 40-150mm 3.5/4.5? I've been fooling around with an Oly Pen E-P1 but these lenses are just too heavy for it, plus I still do like using a viewfinder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Move from L1 to Oly E-620?

I have an L1 and a E-30. I enjoy them both very much . It is usually a struggle to decide which one to use ! I have had no problems using my Leica lens on the E-30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Swap the E-620 for the E-30, add the 25mm pancake, and you've got my whole setup... I've never used the E-620, but with comparison to the L1 I'd speculate a noticeable difference. These days, the pancake lives on my L1, and the 14-50mm on my E-30. The 40-150mk1 only comes out for specific uses. Still love the L1 though. I use the E-30 for paid jobs or portfolio work, but the L1 and pancake go everywhere I do. All I can tell you is the E-30 was a worthwhile upgrade (although it leaves me wanting an E-5, lol), and the 14-50 feels better on it than the L1. That said, the E-620 is lighter than both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BW79ST View Post
    What do you think? Is it worthwhile to pick up a 620 body to try with my Leica 14-50mm 2.8/3.5 and an Oly 40-150mm 3.5/4.5? I've been fooling around with an Oly Pen E-P1 but these lenses are just too heavy for it, plus I still do like using a viewfinder.
    Neither of those lenses are heavy by any means, and the E-620 is not much bigger than the E-P1. If you just want something to shoot with an optical viewfinder, then you could pick up an E-620 for that, but that's all up to you and your budget. The E-620 won't perform any better otherwise than the E-620.

If you're uncomfortable with the E-P1 PEN, it's probably because of its general format and not because of the weight of te lenses (which are both plenty light). Moving up to an E-30, E-3, or E-5 body will probably be the better choice for you.

*EDIT: Your post says you were using the E-P1, but your title says you're looking to move from the L1 (which I assume is where the Leica 14-50mm came from). I'm confused...
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm an L1 owner but use an E3 too. I love the E3, but I use a lot of legacy lenses and here the L1 blows the Olympus cameras away as it has focus confirm built in, so you don't need to use daisy wheel adaptors!

I like the colours I get from the Kodak sensors too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    *EDIT: Your post says you were using the E-P1, but your title says you're looking to move from the L1 (which I assume is where the Leica 14-50mm came from). I'm confused...
    I have a DMC-L1 which hasn't been getting much use lately but I am not going to part with my lenses. Recently I got a Pen E-P1 body to try out with these lenses and also to experiment with a Contax c/y 50mm, plus a Contax G 90mm that I have. I'm waiting for the G lens adapter but I can tell already I will not be thrilled. The Contax c/y is very difficult to focus on the Pen body although the color rendition is quite nice. I really need the focus confirmation that the Panys have.

I will probably get a Pany m4/3 lens for the Pen E-P1 as it really needs lightweight AF lenses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BW79ST View Post
    I have a DMC-L1 which hasn't been getting much use lately but I am not going to part with my lenses. Recently I got a Pen E-P1 body to try out with these lenses and also to experiment with a Contax c/y 50mm, plus a Contax G 90mm that I have. I'm waiting for the G lens adapter but I can tell already I will not be thrilled. The Contax c/y is very difficult to focus on the Pen body although the color rendition is quite nice. I really need the focus confirmation that the Panys have.

I will probably get a Pany m4/3 lens for the Pen E-P1 as it really needs lightweight AF lenses.
    Hmmm... Obviously you don't have the VF-2 since you're using an E-P1. The LCD on the back of the E-P1 is not very good. The E-PL2 has a higher resolution LCD, and the VF-2 is also a great boon for manual focusing. Just as a guess, that's probably where you're having the most difficulties with focusing your Contax... An E-PL2 with or without VF-2, or else an E-P2 with VF-2 would probably improve your system a lot.

Panasonic LCDs are better than the E-P1, but I don't think they're as good as the E-PL2. The VF-2 viewfinder however, is the highest resolution accessory EVF and better than that on the Panasonic GF-series (G-series and GH-series is different).
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been a long time since I consulted this forum but it has been worthwhile. Thank you Pepper for the advice on using the L1's ability to confirm focus with legacy lenses. I've been restricted to setting legacy lenses at f8 and adjusting the focus ring to a range for that stop. That has been with micro 4/3 cameras. Now I know I have the ability to get much more use out of those lenses using my L1 body which has been patiently waiting for me to come home. Again, thank you!