Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E510 vs E1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: E510 vs E1

This has been an inspiring thread m only FT body in use is a 510.

And then a very lucky thing happened. My wife needed yet another sewing machine, this one to take to the quilting and quilting software classes she's teaching. She knew of something from the 40s and 50 called a Singer Slack-o-matic (really). It'll do what she needs and is built like an E-1 body (indeed, stronger). They run $150 for fine copies on eBay. She bought one. By house rules, I now have an equivalent amount to spend on camera kit. And I found a slightly scuffed E-1 with whatever the extra battery grip is and no one wanted to bid over $150, so I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.
    Steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not my experience. The Mk2 is streets ahead in focussing on the m4/3 systems, in my experience. I owned the Mk1 before I changed it to the Mk2 and certainly notice the difference in focussing. IQ is identical, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post

The Mk 1 works on the m43 and focuses fine, the difference between AF performance on the 'optomised' lenses and the rest is hard to spot, certainly relative to the lighting/subject factors.
    Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
    By house rules, I now have an equivalent amount to spend on camera kit. And I found a slightly scuffed E-1 with whatever the extra battery grip is and no one wanted to bid over $150, so I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.
    Glad to hear we can be of service! I’m currently watching a couple of E1s to see what happens…

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    Not my experience. The Mk2 is streets ahead in focussing on the m4/3 systems, in my experience. I owned the Mk1 before I changed it to the Mk2 and certainly notice the difference in focussing. IQ is identical, of course.
    Thanks for that Stephen, it makes me feel a whole lot better for spending the extra!
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FWIW this was taken with the E-1 (on my second day of ownership) and the 14-54 Mk2:

Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    I’d read this too, but it’s not quite the problem it used to be considering how cheap hard drives are these days!
    yeah tellme about that... maybe if I get 80-90% of the external harddrive full I would get myself to converting those files to 10 times smaller JPGs.

Cople of days ago camera reminded me that I'm still missing quality glass, wider angle and a tripod - would loved getting a better shot
    E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    FWIW this was taken with the E-1 (on my second day of ownership) and the 14-54 Mk2
    I actually remember that picture from when you first posted it! The clouds still have a nice lot of detail in them which is kinda what I'm hoping for from the E1...

Quote Originally Posted by throt View Post
    yeah tell me about that... maybe if I get 80-90% of the external harddrive full I would get myself to converting those files to 10 times smaller JPGs.

Cople of days ago camera reminded me that I'm still missing quality glass, wider angle and a tripod - would loved getting a better shot
    Considering you can get a 1TB drive for £40 these days it’s easy to keep everything… the difficulty then comes when you back it all up!

I still like it, the frozen water gives it a real ethereal feel… is the lake still fozen?
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering finding a cheap E-1 for a temporary camera until I can save up for an E-5. My E-3's shutter just died on me, leaving me with only my E-P1. I do need a replacement asap, as I have a lot of important location work coming up. My E-P1 should service me in the studio for the time being, but won't cut it in the field.

The only problem is... how do I convince my commercial clients that 5MP is enough, when it's coming from a sharp, vibrant CCD? Perhaps I should try it and upsample everything before presenting it to anyone. I bet the quality would hold up.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I'm seriously considering finding a cheap E-1 for a temporary camera until I can save up for an E-5. My E-3's shutter just died on me, leaving me with only my E-P1. I do need a replacement asap, as I have a lot of important location work coming up. My E-P1 should service me in the studio for the time being, but won't cut it in the field.

The only problem is... how do I convince my commercial clients that 5MP is enough, when it's coming from a sharp, vibrant CCD? Perhaps I should try it and upsample everything before presenting it to anyone. I bet the quality would hold up.
    Upsampling is probably worth a try... maybe someone could send you a few E1 files to play with before buying one?

When someone asks you if 5MP is enough, just remind them that "full HD" is only the equivalent of 2MP! (1920x1080)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    I still like it, the frozen water gives it a real ethereal feel… is the lake still fozen?
    A bit OT (I was drunk when made last post) but yeah the lake was a frozen (at least some of it) and there were those great cracks in the ice.

Ned if in need I can upload to you some E1 RAWs to play with, not a quality glass in use but will give somekind of imagination.
    E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The E1 was the flagship camera albeit a couple of generations ago and a few megapixels have been added since then too but it's still a fantastic camera, even now. Unless you are going to blow up your shots to fit bill boards it doesn't matter. With the 14-54mm lens Mk1 or Mk2 it's a great setup. I recently got that very setup and love it. I hope you enjoy as I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast