Thread: First test w/ Sigma 50mm 1.4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First test w/ Sigma 50mm 1.4

This is my first test with the Sigma 50mm 1.4. Shot @ f 2.5 on a Panasonic L-10. About a 50% crop, standard light glam retouch. This looks to be a special lens. No front or back focus problems, focuses quick. My only gripe is it can sound a bit "crunchy." Rented for a week from lensrentals.com to test. Great service and lots of 4/3 equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Re: First test w/ Sigma 50mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by alienchow View Post
    This is my first test with the Sigma 50mm 1.4. Shot @ f 2.5 on a Panasonic L-10. About a 50% crop, standard light glam retouch. This looks to be a special lens. No front or back focus problems, focuses quick. My only gripe is it can sound a bit "crunchy." Rented for a week from lensrentals.com to test. Great service and lots of 4/3 equipment.
    Awesome, glad to hear you are enjoying it, any plans to purchase it? That is the trouble of renting (I have used the same service) sometimes you fall in love and buy the same lens! This is how I ended up owning the 35-100. Thanks for the sample!
    ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D800 | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | 50 f/1.4 Art | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
    Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
    Panasonic GF5 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II

All images hosted courtesy of Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had that problem with rentals several times! This lens seems to be really nice. I think I like it better than the Oly 50 for portraits, so I think I'll be springing for one. It reminds me a lot of the old Canon 85 1.2 FD I used to own. Manual focus is pretty sweet, and the bokeh is stellar.

To anyone who says we don't have any good, fast portrait primes for 4/3, do yourself a favor, and check out this lens.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

yeah, we definitely have portrait lenses, I love the PanaLeica 25mm for portraits. I know some people want more length, but I like that for portraits.
    ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D800 | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | 50 f/1.4 Art | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
    Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
    Panasonic GF5 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II

All images hosted courtesy of Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish they had kept developing lenses for 4/3. I have the 25 and the 14-50 2.8. Both are fantastic. I can't wait to try them out on an E-5. If the AA filter is as weak as the L-10's, along with some increased dynamic range... well, I'm just looking forward to seeing what these lenses can really do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the 25mm f/1.4 and the 50mm f/2.0 macro for portraiture, heavily favoring the 25mm (I'm with Reggie on the focal length preference). I'm curious, though - why do you prefer the Sigma 50mm over the Zuiko Digital, particularly if you're doing shots at f/2.0 and smaller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i own a 50mm sigma too, awesome lense! Very good quality for a small price. i think one of the best lenses on the market specially in the price-performance ratio (sorry dont know if its the right word^^).
    its just a must have for me and all my portraits i shoot with this lens (look my website).