Thread: Another E-1 Newbie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another E-1 Newbie

HI

I am seem to be joining a regular queue of people who have picked up a secondhand E-1. I got mine because I wanted a bomb proof body for work in Scotland, where the weather is not always kind, to go with my HG lenses, I couldn't afford the E-3 and everyone has always been so complimentary about the ergonomics. Now I have it I can see what they mean. I think it will go rather nicely with my 11-22 mm (my first and still my favourite HG lens).

While I will obviously work towards my settings for this, are there any hints on setting up which might get me in the ball park rather faster than trial and error?

Thanks in advance?

Andrew
    Maczero

E-400, E-520, 11-22, 14-42, 14-50, 35, 50, 40-150, 70-300

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Re: Another E-1 Newbie

Hi and congratulations on purchase of that excellent piece of equipment.
    E-1 is really a great camera, offering wonderful pictures even when it is outdated a bit.

For camera setting, I personally use:
    - aperture priority (mostly)
    - manual ISO
    - RAW only (mainly because I am still so mistakable)
    - single point AF (center)
    - Noise filter off (if there is visible noise at all, it is always easier to care of that in software with more control over it)
    You may as well want to calibrate LCD, so it shows pictures as they are (standart setting is too bright in my opinion, showing slightly underexposed pictures as normally exposed,etc.)

You can save 4 setting presets as well for quickly changing whole sets of parameters (lovely feature) without accessing menu. (Recalling those by pressing Flash mode+Picture Quality buttons at the same time and using dial to choose one of those presets).
    I use this for LL/night tripod shots where Noise reduction and Mirror lock (Antishock) are your best friends

P.S.: There may be people with their shiny kits of other brands looking at you as you were carrying some sort of junk.. (like when I was shooting few weeks ago and guy standing nearby with his friends said "I have the same tripod, but better camera.." .. later he said to them that he owns Sigma (he didn't mentioned type, but I have been laughing for quite some time after that )) ... just laugh at those people, you already have the best!
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pavel

Thanks for your quick reply. These are kind of my generic settings (Aperture priority, Raw, Centre Point AF) for most cameras. I have wound down the sharpening from the +5 I found it at to 0.

No real chance to take any proper pictures, but a quick look suggests that there is quite a lot of room to recover blown highlights using Aperture 3.

I am looking forward to seeing we get on - it's been a good start.

Andrew
    Maczero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello to a fellow E1 owning Scot! The E1 is a great camera, and certainly mine saw a fair bit of the Scottish weather. I recommend setting contrast to -2 , the default level of contrast is way too contrasty and you lose detail with it. I always used mine on manual, exposure wise, with raw and jpeg. The jpgs out of the E1 look great, and provided you have the disk space there's no reason not to take both- jpegs for viewing and raws for post processing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Morgoth,

Thanks for your reply. I also stumbled on the jpeg -2 contrast tip through a Flickr forum. It almost is the equivalent of a jpeg Raw. It certainly did a great job for me when I went to south India during the second monsoon season. The raws have bags of latitude for PP.
    Maczero