Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Arrow Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

Both are ideal for use with the Olympus E-3 professional D-SLR which enables the control of up to three different flash groups directly from the camera no separate commander unit is required. Photographers benefit from extreme flash unit versatility and never again need to be hindered in the studio or in the field by troublesome wires.

More...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

Very nice flash system where photographers could controlled the lighting ratio.
    Still unknown about flash recycling time where all of Olympian complain abouut..

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Re: Olympus announces remote control (RC) wireless flash units FL-50R and FL-36R

Quote Originally Posted by nikkorku View Post
    Very nice flash system where photographers could controlled the lighting ratio.
    Still unknown about flash recycling time where all of Olympian complain abouut..
    Recycling is a function of available current from the batteries - if you need shorter recycling, go for an external battery pack

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Recycling is a function of available current from the batteries - if you need shorter recycling, go for an external battery pack

Ian
    Comparing to Canon 580EX or Nikon SB800, you'll feel how slow the cycling time of the FL50 is..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any clues on how RC data transfer works?

It seems a little misleading to call it RC as that is frequently an abbreviation for radio controlled. Anyway, some of the info I have seen suggests they are using something a little more sophisticated than basic IR. Seems like a competitive disadvantage if other brands are using radios.

Many are concerned that it is the same IR technology as used in handheld remote that fires my E300 from if lucky 5 meters IF it has line of sight on that side of the body - about 50% of attempts work. They claim 200 feet I think so it must be something else. Is it as simple as remote flashes seeing the blast from the popup flash? I would hope you have the option to not always fire the popup to avoid red eye and have total control of lighting effects. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Any clues on how RC data transfer works?

Quote Originally Posted by zuikonion
    It seems a little misleading to call it RC as that is frequently an abbreviation for radio controlled. Anyway, some of the info I have seen suggests they are using something a little more sophisticated than basic IR.
    I'm with you! Does it broadcast some sort of radio signal, or some complex "flickerflash" code?

Cheers,

Leonard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Any clues on how RC data transfer works?

I received an FL-50R today from Ian Kerr (2kerso@gmail.com 263 inc postage & Paypal fee). I think the remote control works by using flashes from the popup rather than IR. To check recycle time I just stuck it on my E-3, set it to TTL Auto and fired off 30 frames of the same subject at 5fps with the flash firing quite happily without pausing. I then fired off another 30 frames at 5fps moving the camera around the room, this time it paused twice for maybe half a second. The pauses may have been the camera clearing the buffer but I don't think so since I was shooting jpegs large sf. All frames are correctly exposed. Frankly I was amazed. I certainly have no complaints about recycle time from this crude test. It may, of course, be quite different in a live shooting situation.

I am new to Olympus so have not used an Olympus flashgun before. It is well made, easy to set up and use, comes with a diffuser (like the Stoffen) and a clip on deflector plate as well as a stand. I am delighted with it!
    Cheers
    Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It also has a tripod socket Good for those times when you don't have a floor/table to put it on using the foot stand. It seems really well thought out to me. Definite added value
    Phil

ps - sounds pretty good on the recycling time, how big was the room/far away was the target out of interest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thestickman View Post
    It also has a tripod socket Good for those times when you don't have a floor/table to put it on using the foot stand. It seems really well thought out to me. Definite added value
    Phil

ps - sounds pretty good on the recycling time, how big was the room/far away was the target out of interest?
    Smallish room about 12ft x 15ft, first target was only about 13ft away so perhaps not a fair test. I was using eneloop batteries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently saw on the internet an article about an experiment done with an E-3 and two FL remote flash units. The units were hidden behind objects, but still flashed. It sounds like radio control. I'll contact Olympus tech support and see if I can get a clearer answer.

Cheers,

Leonard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast