Thread: Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO

I am thinking of buying one of these to use via an adaptor on my G1. Most of the examples on ebay seem to be Canon fit - does anyone know if this lens can be operated (aperture and focus) purely manually in the Canon version?

It has been suggested to me that it may not be possible to alter the aperture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO

Quote Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
    I am thinking of buying one of these to use via an adaptor on my G1. Most of the examples on ebay seem to be Canon fit - does anyone know if this lens can be operated (aperture and focus) purely manually in the Canon version?

It has been suggested to me that it may not be possible to alter the aperture.

There should be no reason why the Canon FD version won't - just avoid the EF and EF-S lenses.

Andy
    Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
    mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
    EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
    Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Mike

These lenses are notorious for fogging of the internal elements, so make sure you confirm the lens is truly clean before you buy. From what I've read on the web, it's the ones with 72mm filter threads that are prone (which may be all the manual focus ones for all I know). You obviously know to only get the APO version.

By coincidence, I've just been taking apart one of these with a CY mount that belongs to my uncle. Despite being in otherwise pristine condition, there was heavy fogging on the front lens group of the internal focusing group. This would appear to be an oily deposit from the lubricant used on the focusing helicoid. Having finally get to the dirty group, I've cleaned most of it off, but its a two element group and I need to separate them to clean between them. i don't have the correct tool for this at the moment.

I am not looking forward to putting it back together. It will be a major challenge not to get it full of dust since all the (large) front elements have to come out.

Once I've got it cleaned and reassembled, I will be testing it on my E3. It's a very compact lens for 400mm so I'm hoping it will work well.

Good luck!

Mark
    E-M5 | E-M1 | mZD 9-18 | mZD 12-40 | mZD 12-50 | mZD 40-140 | mZD 75-300 | mZD 45 f1.8 | Panasonic-m 14 f2.5 | Panasonic-m 20 f1.7 | Panasonic-m 25mm f1.4 |

E3 | ZD 14-54 Mk1 | ZD 50-200SWD | ZD 35 Macro | Panaleica 25mm | Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@ Mike,
    Did you try it? Was it any good? I'm thinking of trying one too.

@ Andy,
    Why no EF, EF-S mounts? The one I'm looking at is in near mint condition, selling for $35 and is an EF mount. Will this not work with M43 bodies plus adaptor - like the Panny GH1, etc.?
    Last edited by Tesselator; 23rd May 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: To see if my avatar would display.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Why no EF, EF-S mounts? The one I'm looking at is in near mint condition, selling for $35 and is an EF mount. Will this not work with M43 bodies plus adaptor - like the Panny GH1, etc.?
    EF and EF-S lenses does not have aperture ring (as far as I am aware of) and aperture (and maybe even focus) is operated by electronic (just as Oly lenses) .. so you would need a really clever adaptor, or you wont be able to set/use aperture and focusing ...
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    @ Mike,
    Did you try it? Was it any good? I'm thinking of trying one too.
    No, I decided against. I'm using a borrowed 500mm mirror Tamron adaptall on the rare occasions I need such a long lens. Generally I'm managing with the kit 45-200mm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The lens will work, but if its an AF one the feedback you get when focusing is terrible, ie its sloppy.

I still have my pentax AF mount one and tried it today on my g1 with an adaptor.

I may still look for a manual focus version as once focused it worked well in aperture priority, the camera metered fine as well.