Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    parallel universe
    Posts
    619
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Likes: 0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I disagree - owning is good because you can just pick your camera and lens up and take pictures any time you like. Later on, you can sell your lens and get back a larg proportion of what you paid for it.

    Ian
    Your argument is mostly about convenience not about saving money.
    enjoy

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Malaga
    Posts
    3,755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    52
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Likes: 0
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    Does that make the argument any less valid ? Most of our purchase decisions are made with little regard to the economic sense of the purchase. You may be correct when you say that the rental business model thrives but it represents a tiny fraction of the sales business model ! Horses for courses - I prefer to own but like this service for times when I need something I don't want to buy. Gives me an option and allows me to choose and I like as much choice as possible.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hemel Hempstead UK
    Posts
    7,784
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    798
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Likes: 98
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    Your argument is mostly about convenience not about saving money.
    Well, yes - convenience has a value of course. But an important point is that lenses tend to retain a lot of value, especially compared to camera bodies, so it's an investment and you will get much of what you paid for a lens back if you decide to sell it later.

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    427
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    250
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Likes: 157
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    If you really want to save money, you could not own or use a camera at all.

    Whoa . . . I must have lost my mind there for a moment . . .

    - Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    parallel universe
    Posts
    619
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    14
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Likes: 0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    If you really want to save money, you could not own or use a camera at all.

    Whoa . . . I must have lost my mind there for a moment . . .

    - Hal -
    There is nothing wrong in spending money (within reason), I also own some camera equipment. One just has to be honnest to one self that when ever you buy something (even if it is a close-out or used bargain) that one has spent and not saved some money.
    enjoy

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    427
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    250
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Likes: 157
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    All joking aside, I agree with your point, Joachim. It really is spending money, no matter how it's presented. I too scoff at TV and print ads that promise to save you money by offering a discount on a product because it should be so glaringly obvious that you're really spending money--possibly on something you don't need--just spending a little less than you otherwise might.

    Still, I do think that this lens hiring service has its place and can be very valuable. If you need a piece of equipment for a short time, or are trying to decide if you really want to buy a particular lens, this service could cost you much less than just going and purchasing the item.

    - Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hemel Hempstead UK
    Posts
    7,784
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    798
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Likes: 98
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire UPDATE

    Interest is slowly picking up even though the service has not yet been publicised widely. A press release will go out tomorrow.

    There are some revisions to the pricing too. The 3, 7, 14, and 21 day rates previously published are unchanged, but we've decided to compute more sensible rates for other days. The price list can be downloaded from here:

    http://www.e-group.uk.net/hire/prices.pdf

    A general information document can be found here:

    http://www.e-group.uk.net/hire/hire_info.pdf

    If you are interested in hiring an item, please email: hire@e-group.uk.net or tel: 01442 242 960

    It's worth noting that we don't have unlimited stocks, so in those familiar word - to avoid disappointment, book sooner rather than later!

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hemel Hempstead UK
    Posts
    7,784
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    798
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Likes: 98
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

    Exclamation Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    Just to let you know, if you are UK-based, we're doing a Christmas special on Top Pro telephoto lens hire for Christmas. Here is what I have just posted in e-group.uk.net:

    Just for Christmas... book one of the following lenses for a minimum 7-day hire and you will get a third off our published prices:

    300mm f/2.8, e.g. instead of 149 for 7 days, just pay 99, saving 50
    90-250 f/2.8 e.g. instead of 129 for 7 days, just pay 85, saving 44
    150mm f/2 e.g. instead of 59 for 7 days, just pay 39, saving 20
    35-100 f/2 e.g. instead of 58 for 7 days, just pay 38, saving 20

    The latest you can book these lenses for courier delivery before Christmas is before noon on Tuesday 22nd December, for delivery the following day. If you wish to collect your lens in person from our Hemel Hempstead office, you can collect on Christmas Eve.

    We'd rather you were using them over the holiday period rather than them being locked away during that time!

    * If you ultimately buy the lens you hired, within a month of hiring it, you can claim the hire fee back (up to 7 days) and this is in addition to any cash back offers that may be running at the time.

    If you have any questions, you can post them here, use the form on our main hire page at http://e-group.uk.net/hire/hire_info.php, or email hire@e-group.uk.net.

    It's first come, first served, so don't be disappointed. We have one 150 f/2 available, two 35-100s, two 90-250s, and four 300 f/2.8s.

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hemel Hempstead UK
    Posts
    7,784
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    798
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Likes: 98
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    All our 35-100s and 150s are now spoken for, for Christmas and the New Year. But we have plenty of 300s and 90-250s!

    Ian

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Just to let you know, if you are UK-based, we're doing a Christmas special on Top Pro telephoto lens hire for Christmas. Here is what I have just posted in e-group.uk.net:

    Just for Christmas... book one of the following lenses for a minimum 7-day hire and you will get a third off our published prices:

    300mm f/2.8, e.g. instead of 149 for 7 days, just pay 99, saving 50
    90-250 f/2.8 e.g. instead of 129 for 7 days, just pay 85, saving 44
    150mm f/2 e.g. instead of 59 for 7 days, just pay 39, saving 20
    35-100 f/2 e.g. instead of 58 for 7 days, just pay 38, saving 20

    The latest you can book these lenses for courier delivery before Christmas is before noon on Tuesday 22nd December, for delivery the following day. If you wish to collect your lens in person from our Hemel Hempstead office, you can collect on Christmas Eve.

    We'd rather you were using them over the holiday period rather than them being locked away during that time!

    * If you ultimately buy the lens you hired, within a month of hiring it, you can claim the hire fee back (up to 7 days) and this is in addition to any cash back offers that may be running at the time.

    If you have any questions, you can post them here, use the form on our main hire page at http://e-group.uk.net/hire/hire_info.php, or email hire@e-group.uk.net.

    It's first come, first served, so don't be disappointed. We have one 150 f/2 available, two 35-100s, two 90-250s, and four 300 f/2.8s.

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hemel Hempstead UK
    Posts
    7,784
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    798
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Likes: 98
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Olympus E-System lens and accessory hire

    The special Christmas rate for Top Pro tele lens hire has now finished, but you could make a saving by booking and paying for a future hire before the end of tomorrow (Thursday) as VAT returns to 17.5% from 15% on New Years day.

    We also have an E-30 body and E-620 kit (with HLD-5) added to our loan stock. get in touch if you are interested!

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •