Thread: A question of scale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Arrow A question of scale

Put an Olympus Digital Zuiko 35-100 f/2 (70-200 equivalent) next to a Digital Zuiko 40-150 kit zoom and the former dwarfs the latter impressively. This short article ponders what is, at first, a contradictory state of affairs!

More...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: A question of scale

I almost purchased the Olympus 35-100mm f/2 lens yesterday, but in the end decided that the 1650g + 150g tripod collar was just a bit to beefy to handle. Additionally, reports suggest that the lens is soft at f2 although IQ improves quickly, even at an aperture of f2.8. Given that fact I opted to keep the Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 for the time being and await the SWD version.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EV Wonder View Post
    I almost purchased the Olympus 35-100mm f/2 lens yesterday, but in the end decided that the 1650g + 150g tripod collar was just a bit to beefy to handle. Additionally, reports suggest that the lens is soft at f2 although IQ improves quickly, even at an aperture of f2.8. Given that fact I opted to keep the Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 for the time being and await the SWD version.
    Doug Harman, former technical editor of Amateur Photographer, What Digital Camera and Total Digital Photography, has been testing this lens for fro FTU and the sample shots he's sent me so far don't look soft at all wide open.

We'll see how it performs on the test bench though

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EV Wonder View Post
    I own the 35-100mm lens, it is an outstanding lens honestly. The size dose take a couple of weeks to get used too, after that you honestly don't notice it that much accept for people constantly commenting on it. Which can be good, many time you get treated as press if attending an event.
    I read the "report" that said it is soft wide open. Either the tester had a bad copy or dislikes Olympus. Between my uncle's Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, 70-200mm F4 IS, and my Olympus 35-100mm F2, the Olympus is much sharper wide open than the 2.8, and noticeably sharper than the F4 at 100%. Also the same holds true for the Olympus 35-100mm F2 that he bought after using mine, and he is a Canon fan.
    Don't get me wrong though the 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 is a great lens as well. They are made for different things IMHO. If you are looking for lower light, better bokeha, or an outstanding portrait lens the 35-100mm is the way to go. If you are after a longer zoom, more versatile walk around lens, or a little lighter weight, then the 50-200mm is the one to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, john95969, for sharing your thoughts on the 35-100mm lens. It seems that the lens is a very specialized piece of glass and quite unlike the 50-200mm lens, which is better for other purposes. However, as a portrait lens it seems that the 35-100mm is in a class all its own. The added speed certainly would be a boon to those shooting in low light conditions as well.