Thread: 2 flashes for a lighting kit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 flashes for a lighting kit?

hello all,

as some may know i'm extremely interested in portrait photography and am working on learning as much as i can in my free time. i currently have the metz 58 for my cameras and it has worked fine on my camera. i'm looking to get more into off camera lighting and was thinking about adding an fl50r to my equipment along with either softboxes or umbrellas. how does this sound to you?

i've looked into getting some back drops (white & black) and want to make sure i have the right lighting for when i decide to make these purchases later down the line this year/early next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: 2 flashes for a lighting kit?

I don't do portraiture much, and when I do it isn't studio-based. Even so, in my opinion, the more lights the better! I have an FL-50R and there've been plenty of times where I would have loved to have had another flash or two. I'm thinking of eventually getting some FL-36R's as backups to the FL-50R.

Anyway, your plan sounds pretty solid to me. (I don't have much experience with multiple flashes and portraiture, though, so if someone with more experience writes in and has a different opinion, I'd defer to them.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two flashes or strobes is a minimum to get even light coverage, but three is ideal to cover all the angles. I shoot with two because of my tight confines, but ofttimes I can't get perfectly even light without that third angle covered. It's all about quelling the shadows, and for that you need your light spread out (needless to say, diffusion is a big part of that spreading, not just separating your light sources).
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have just bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260411844081

The big advantage is it will (unlike most) work with old flashes - so I can use it and turn my old Olympus T32 into a slave flash for my Metz 48. Obviously you can't use the T32 directly with a DSLR as its 200V trigger voltage would fry the circuitry.

Andy
    Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
    mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
    EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
    Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian510 View Post
    hello all,

as some may know i'm extremely interested in portrait photography and am working on learning as much as i can in my free time. i currently have the metz 58 for my cameras and it has worked fine on my camera. i'm looking to get more into off camera lighting and was thinking about adding an fl50r to my equipment along with either softboxes or umbrellas. how does this sound to you?

i've looked into getting some back drops (white & black) and want to make sure i have the right lighting for when i decide to make these purchases later down the line this year/early next year.
    I have several flashes but nearly always end up using ONE FL50R and reflectors. One of the best protrate setups is 1 overhead and in front (diffused), with a reflector on the models lap and white reflectors either side

I sometimes use 2 FL50Rs side by side in this overhead position if I want to push a lot of light into the setup, but most of the time the one is enough.
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, reflectors act sort of like a second light, but without batteries or power.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile Re: 2 flashes for a lighting kit?

I use the radio slaves the type you can get from Gadget Infinity. I have two FL50's and 1- FL50R (can be used in optical Slave but rather use the receivers). I have the receivers attach to the flashes and the transmitter on the camera. I usually use two umbrellas and a small soft box (http://www.alzodigital.com/online_st...h_soft_box.htm) as hair light on a boom. I can set the power ration on the flashes and definitely get a combo light meter that does flash, reflective and incident as I use the light meter out side also.
    Also check out the strobist (http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/) for great info.

Ciao,
    Lou Cioccio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Re: 2 flashes for a lighting kit?

Quote Originally Posted by LouCioccio View Post
    I use the radio slaves the type you can get from Gadget Infinity. I have two FL50's and 1- FL50R (can be used in optical Slave but rather use the receivers). I have the receivers attach to the flashes and the transmitter on the camera. I usually use two umbrellas and a small soft box (http://www.alzodigital.com/online_st...h_soft_box.htm) as hair light on a boom. I can set the power ration on the flashes and definitely get a combo light meter that does flash, reflective and incident as I use the light meter out side also.
    Also check out the strobist (http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/) for great info.

Ciao,
    Lou Cioccio
    thanks for sharing!