Thread: E-1 on the way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: E-1 on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyElliott View Post
    Flippin' eck! I've just bought an old E-1 and was amazed at the DR of the thing at ISO 100. The amount of shadow detail (and virtually noise free) is staggering. I took some simple indoor shots in RAW - looked very dark against a bright window, took it into LR and boosted the 'fill light' to maximum - the darkness is illuminated with very little noise.

I got mine on eBay for 120 with 11000 shutter actuations, no instructions, battery or strap (but I have spares of these for my E-3 anyway - they're the same!). Mega bargain!

The 5MP Kodak sensor is a true wonder!

Andy
    How is the DR at ISO 200?

I received an E-1 last week that I bought on eBay, but I have neither a 4/3 lens (leaning towards a 12-60 in the next few months) nor an adapter for my OM lenses yet. I'm itching to find out myself, but I'll have to live vicariously through all of you until the adapter arrives.
    Russ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Subjectively, I can't tell a difference between 100 and 200 with regard to DR. Sometimes it seems like my highlights are a little hard to recover compared to the E-30 but that's a whole different beast.

As for the 12-60 it's a fantastic (albeit pricey) lens. If $$$ is an issue, you can find the original 14-54mm lens that came with the E-1 back in the day for pretty cheap. It's a great all-round lens for less than half the cost of the 12-60.

However, you won't regret saving for the 12-60mm. Don't take my word for it! Look for some of Raj Sarma's posts and he'll make a believer out of you! That guy does amazing things with the E-1, 12-60mm. Lives in NYC I think too. Goes by rssarma over on dpreview forums.
    Oly EM-5 | Oly E-30 | Oly E-1 | FL-36 | mZD 9-18mm | PL 25mm f/1.4 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | ZD 50-200mm SWD | ZD 50mm f/2 | Gallery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The interesting thing for me is lack of noise at the low ISOs and there is a certain something I can't quite put my finger on about the look of the output. Here's a few quick ones just taken, check out the lack of noise and great DR on the cloud shots!

Andy

Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
    mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
    EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
    Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Some DR tests

ISO 200 - firstly, straight out the camera (RAW), in LR, then with fill-light and recovery set to 100:

ISO 100 - firstly, straight out the camera (RAW), in LR, then with fill-light and recovery set to 100:

The ability to pull detail by pushing the exposure massively is pretty amazing. You can see that the ISO100 is better (less noise, more detail), but this is a pretty extreme case.

Andy
    Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
    mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
    EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
    Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndyElliott View Post
    Some DR tests

ISO 200 - firstly, straight out the camera (RAW), in LR, then with fill-light and recovery set to 100:

ISO 100 - firstly, straight out the camera (RAW), in LR, then with fill-light and recovery set to 100:

The ability to pull detail by pushing the exposure massively is pretty amazing. You can see that the ISO100 is better (less noise, more detail), but this is a pretty extreme case.

Andy
    Andy,

Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Russ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I wanted to get into DSLR's, I researched all of the brands. I shoot with Canon 35mm film camera's so that would have been a natural selection. I always respected Olympus 35mm tech so, after a month of hard research, my choice was the E-1. I could only budget for the 14-45 and 40-150 lenses for now but they have served me very well so far. The E-1 is a brilliant design and the Kodak sensor is to die for, it's dynamic range and color is superb. This body suits my style perfectly and is a dream to use. 5mp is as good as any film that I currently shoot with and it's output for me is very similar to Kodak Portra 160 film which is perfect. My 8x10 and 8x12 enlargements are magnificent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kintamasan View Post
    When I wanted to get into DSLR's, I researched all of the brands. I shoot with Canon 35mm film camera's so that would have been a natural selection. I always respected Olympus 35mm tech so, after a month of hard research, my choice was the E-1. I could only budget for the 14-45 and 40-150 lenses for now but they have served me very well so far. The E-1 is a brilliant design and the Kodak sensor is to die for, it's dynamic range and color is superb. This body suits my style perfectly and is a dream to use. 5mp is as good as any film that I currently shoot with and it's output for me is very similar to Kodak Portra 160 film which is perfect. My 8x10 and 8x12 enlargements are magnificent
    It was 2003 when I was after my first DSLR and I thought the E-1 was a strange looking thing, but the IQ had something that looked familiar. At the time Canon had a strong porcelain look and the Sony sensor in the Nikon had a harshness decribed as video look. It was the IQ and the faith that legacy lenses could be adapted.....and that first hands on at the camera store, which hooked me.
    It is fun to try and figure out what the "E-1 Look" is. It isn't resolution, since the E-1 is known to have a strong AA filter and only 5MP. To me it is the tonality both luminosity and color (pallet and saturation). A PP process that I use with various camera is to shoot at low saturation and then build up saturation from highlights to the shadows progressively. This helps with some of my cameras, but with the E-1, there is little difference from the OOC JPEG files. The E-1 is tuned to show color depth. It is easy to get lost in discussions about noise and resolution and not even notice the tonality or color depth. The E-3 is almost there and Leica's M8 has a similar sensor and shows a family resemblence, but the E-1 is a gem.
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    It was 2003 when I was after my first DSLR and I thought the E-1 was a strange looking thing, but the IQ had something that looked familiar. At the time Canon had a strong porcelain look and the Sony sensor in the Nikon had a harshness decribed as video look. It was the IQ and the faith that legacy lenses could be adapted.....and that first hands on at the camera store, which hooked me.
    It is fun to try and figure out what the "E-1 Look" is. It isn't resolution, since the E-1 is known to have a strong AA filter and only 5MP. To me it is the tonality both luminosity and color (pallet and saturation). A PP process that I use with various camera is to shoot at low saturation and then build up saturation from highlights to the shadows progressively. This helps with some of my cameras, but with the E-1, there is little difference from the OOC JPEG files. The E-1 is tuned to show color depth. It is easy to get lost in discussions about noise and resolution and not even notice the tonality or color depth. The E-3 is almost there and Leica's M8 has a similar sensor and shows a family resemblence, but the E-1 is a gem.
    Bob
    It is indeed a gem, having worked extensivley with Nikon in the past and flirted with Canon, I was introduced to the E1 when working in a studio, at first as you say i thought it kind of strange looking and to some degree dismissed it. It didnt take long for me to change my opinion, I found that the E1 handled superbly and the results for a "low res" camera were simply stunning. I no longer work in the studio, but I do have an E1 of my own, I have just purchased an E3 on account of the faster focussing, but the E1 will remain and may still be my number one body depending on how the 3 handles.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I thought about it today - is it me or is it the 2nd coming of E1 as there are several people getting it from aftermarket.
    It would be fun and kinda crazy if oly would release E1 like budget camera with some minor tuneups. Why do they go for the latest tech - a nice quality yesterdays (or a bit more) camera with no price would be a funny move. As we all know (at least the one using it) E1 is a superb camera even thou it's alost a decade old. So building a camera that aint weather sealed, smalled and lower res LCD, and using scrap parts (no IS, older electronics and so on) the kit price would be 200-300 . Now that would be a seller. You'll get your first dSLR with compact pice (or even lower). With this pice all the high ISO and stuff would be forgotten as the other brands cost at least 2 times more.
    E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by throt View Post
    I thought about it today - is it me or is it the 2nd coming of E1 as there are several people getting it from aftermarket.
    It would be fun and kinda crazy if oly would release E1 like budget camera with some minor tuneups. Why do they go for the latest tech - a nice quality yesterdays (or a bit more) camera with no price would be a funny move. As we all know (at least the one using it) E1 is a superb camera even thou it's alost a decade old. So building a camera that aint weather sealed, smalled and lower res LCD, and using scrap parts (no IS, older electronics and so on) the kit price would be 200-300 . Now that would be a seller. You'll get your first dSLR with compact pice (or even lower). With this pice all the high ISO and stuff would be forgotten as the other brands cost at least 2 times more.
    People are getting it because of the quality (i.e. sealing, performance, ergonomics, etc.), but lots of people are bought by numbers. Try to tell them, that small LCD is enough, that they do not need 3" one, but I doubt they will listen. It would not attract many customers, I think.
    What would be really great? Something like E-1 Mk.II, a camera with the same body, built-in IS, latest image processing and a brand new 5-10MPx CCD and maybe with an updated AF sensor. LCD can be a slightly bigger or at least with higher resolution. No need for Live view and such stuff, I can live without it. Now that would be something worth buying!
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast