Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Arrow FTU Day Out - Epping Forest 9th November

TIME FOR ANOTHER FTU DAY OUT

THIS TIME TO PHOTOGRAPH THE AUTUMN COLOURS IN EPPING FOREST, ON SUNDAY 9TH NOVEMBER.

I'm afraid there's no cosy cafe to meet for breakfast on this one!

The Meeting Place is the public car park at Connaught Water. I will be there at 6.00 am to meet anyone else interested in a potential sunrise over the lake. If we are lucky (it cannot be guaranteed) we will be rewarded with the rich colours of the dawn sky reflected in the lake, maybe with swirling mist rising gently from the still water! (If we are unlucky we can sit in the car, drinking coffee from a flask while we listen to the rain hammering on the roof! There is an emergency McDonalds within 2 miles that opens early on a Sunday if we get desperate ).

After the sunrise (?) there should be plenty of water scenes, trees, fallen leaves, fungi and birdlife to occupy us until we return to the car park to meet any later arrivals at 9.00 am.

We will then undertake a walk of approximately 6 miles through the heart of the forest which should provide a wealth of woodland photographic opportunities en route. At approximately halfway we will arrive at High Beech for lunch where there is a cafe and a pub.

The forest can be muddy at this time of year so please bring suitable footwear that is also comfortable for a walk of this length. Walking boots and gaiters are ideal if you have them. Also bring waterproofs and warm clothing including hats and gloves. Consider bringing a hot flask and some simple snacks if you have room. Don't forget macro lenses for fungi and a lightweight tripod if you have one. An umbrellor can be useful for holding over your tripod-mounted camera in the rain and a plastic sheet can make ground level shots more comfortable.

If you are interested please reply in this thread or by PM.

Forest glade near High Beech - one of the locations we can visit.

CONNAUGHT WATER is situated on the A1069 between Chingford and Epping. More detailed directions to follow.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: FTU Day Out - Epping Forest 9th November

Sounds good to me John. Another great idea. I'll have to confirm nearer the time but pencil me in
    All the best,
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Epping Forest is one of the remnants of an ancient deciduous forest. Many areas are covered in permanent leaf litter and there are numerous brooks and streams. I can be quite undulating and thick with undergrowth in areas, and there are also some clearings. It might be a little late to catch the best of the autumn leaves, but there are lots of photo opportunities to be had - no matter the weather. There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

I will almost certainly be there and will have a usual selection of lenses, including the 9-18. There is a chance I will have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Micro Four Thirds camera as well

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Liked 170 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

Ian

There are one or two places where you can be 90% sure of seeing deer both Fallow and Mucjacs that I can show you.
    All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Epping Forest is one of the remnants of an ancient deciduous forest. Many areas are covered in permanent leaf litter and there are numerous brooks and streams. I can be quite undulating and thick with undergrowth in areas, and there are also some clearings. It might be a little late to catch the best of the autumn leaves, but there are lots of photo opportunities to be had - no matter the weather. There are deer, but they are very hard to spot

I've noticed the last couple of years that the trees are turning later than they used to, particularly the beech. However, this year I think you might be right as it's been such a poor summer and autumn seems to be starting early. I'm sure there will be no shortage of colour in the forest, though, and I couldn't do the previous two weekends due to a familly holiday!

I will almost certainly be there and will have a usual selection of lenses, including the 9-18. There is a chance I will have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Micro Four Thirds camera as well

Two bits of kit I reckon everyone will want to get their hands on! A day in the forest should be a good test for the G1!

Ian
    The response I've had so far is terrific - we might well need that new 9-18mm lens for the obligatory group photo! But there is plenty of room for more - it's a big forest!
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Liked 170 Times in 87 Posts

Just thought I would add this in case anyone wants to do a bit of background reading.

http://theydon.org.uk/lhs/lhs%20pages/Walks.htm
    All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14,50-200,50mm F2 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500,OM50mm(F1.8),OM28mm(f2.8),FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,Manfrotto 680b monopod,crap tripod,various filters/CF cards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andypeter/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Hi John -

Anne and I hope to be there - will confirm later.

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Post Re: FTU Day Out - Epping Forest 9th November

John,

I have e-mailed you some info you may want to consider.

Regards
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John! Hope to join you on the 9th at 9 rather than 6 though! Peter H

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any way to get there (or near there) via public transport from London as I don't drive. Barring engineering works I can easily get to Theydon Bois or Epping on the Central Line.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast