Thread: Four Thirds to get smaller and lighter system sibling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Re: Four Thirds to get smaller and lighter system sibling

Alan

i intended to purchase a secondhand E410 + pancake lens as a walkaround camera, on the day the announcement was made. This purchase has been postponed indefintely until I see the products that are the result the development programme announced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pretty much the same for me, I was the 4 digits of my pin away from upgrading to an E3 last week. This week its on hold until I see what photokina brings in terms of future promise. If I feel there is a bright future in my eyes (i.e. my desires) I'll happily pick up the E3 and await tasty things to come, if not I'll probably pick up a E520 and keep my long lenses and then perhaps look at FF and a nice wide for landscape and a perhaps a portrait lens or so.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Hi Ian,
    I like the way thay you started this thread with the list of "not yet frequently to be asked questions". What I think would be fun to know is about the meeting, the people that were there and the attitude of the design teams about where they would like to take this concept in its next few generations That peice that they did on the Passions of designing the E-3, was valuable to me, as it was an insight into what designing a camera involved and their faith in their design. I hope that when your NDAs are in the recycle bin, you'll give us a glimps of what went on when they let the micro cat out of the bag.
    Bob
    The NDA precludes me from talking about actual products previewed to us, as well as roadmaps. I can talk about the general concepts and technical details, as long as they are not product-specific.

By the way, I was a guest of Panasonic for this preview, not Olympus. Panasonic are definitely in the driving seat for Micro Four Thirds, at least start with, just as Olympus has been in the driving seat for Four Thirds DSLRs.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

I have an E510 ans was not planning to upgrade this. My main camera is an E3 and this suits me perfectly at the moment. I realise that this is an entirely selfish attitude but I am perfectly eqipped for the next couple of years so I can afford to sit back and wait. The E410 was nothing more than an impulse purchase because they are so cheap 2nd hand at the moment and I really liked the E400 I used to own. I have no need to worry about m4/3rds. If it suits my needs I will buy. If not I won't. I won't be worrying about the future of full sized 4/3rds. If, when I am ready to change, Olympus has a good offereing i will buy it. If they don't I'll but something else. This is the way of the consumer society.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

I've missed all this excitement, having just returned from a (wet!) camping holiday today. It doesn't suprise me, in my response to the speculation that Panasonic were about to pull out of Four Thirds I made this comment on 8th June:-

"But I don't think Panny are about to jump ship, more likely they are about to announce something big in a positive way.... "

In all our concern about how Oly are competing against Nikon and Canon I think we tend to forget just what a massive company Panasonic is and how large it's R&D resources are. Olympus too, are a richer company with better resources than we give them credit for and their strong point has always been innovation, which I am sure is what attracted Panny as a partner. If Panny had only wanted to hop on the DSLR bandwaggon they could simply just have bought Canon or Nikon!

Bearing in mind worldwide volume sales, until now the compact market has been more lucrative than DSLRs and quality gains in this section has all but killed off the "bridge camera" concept. But mobile camera phone technology will in turn threaten the viability of the compact market - unless some huge new innovation combining DSLR quality with compact ease of use, compactness and portability is forthcoming.

Enter Micro Four Thirds......

.......which IMO is good news for existing Four Thirds users as the technology gains from the new system will feed through to the existing standard.

Bearing in mind how important the compact market is in Global terms, it is Canikon users who should be feeling just a little less comfortable right now. But I wonder how long it will be before Canon, Nikon or Sony announces their own micro interchangeable lens format.....and get the credit for the innovation from certain quarters!
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's an 'AP' poll online (www.amateurphotographer.co.uk):

"What are your first impressions of the Micro Four Thirds System?"

and the current results (as of 1130BST 10/8/8) are:

Could be great 51%
    It’ll never work 2%
    I’m just not interested 47%

James
    Last edited by JMK; 10th August 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixing link to AP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

This is an interesting poll. We can assume that the majority of AP readers are not Olympus users so, even assuming an Olympus user bias among those responding to the poll, there is a very significant number of those that responded positively that are not Olympus users ! This might be an early indication of the Olympus/Panasonic thinking behind m4/3rds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post
    .......- unless some huge new innovation combining DSLR quality with compact ease of use, compactness and portability is forthcoming.

Enter Micro Four Thirds......
    Hi John,
    I'd say that you did a good job of prediction and it may be a good place to start guessing at what compact camera features are likely to show up in the new models. There are a lot of features that we take for granted today that started out as gimics for the consumer/hobbiest, like auto exposure, program exposure and even auto focus. Now we have face and smile detection and focus/subject tracking, for example, and a new platform on which to play with them. It might be time to look at the feature sets of the digicams to see how the current crop are set up, wit their bells and whistles.
    I can imagine that a PJ would appreciate face detection and focus tracking, if it had the needed processing power driving it faster than the digicams do now.
    So, do you have any other predictions on what Ian can't tell us until hegets the Sushi flavored gag out of his mouth?
    Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geldieii View Post
    Pretty much the same for me, I was the 4 digits of my pin away from upgrading to an E3 last week. This week its on hold until I see what photokina brings in terms of future promise. If I feel there is a bright future in my eyes (i.e. my desires) I'll happily pick up the E3 and await tasty things to come, if not I'll probably pick up a E520 and keep my long lenses and then perhaps look at FF and a nice wide for landscape and a perhaps a portrait lens or so.
    Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so be kind

So with regards to the future I think may be in store for FT/mFT, I agree that FT has been diverging this way already, with the latest big releases being the pro E-3, and the smaller, lighter E-420. But what of the middle ground: the E-520?

I have an E-1, and was seriously considering swapping to an E-520 for image stabilisation - I'm like Obelix, but the cauldron was full of coffee - as I can't afford the E-3. But now, as the portability is a big issue, maybe I too wait to see what the mFT produces, as does Geldieii.

So I imagine the mFT taking over as the main consumer portion of Olympus' sales, and as such becoming their "bread and butter", with the full FT system being retained for professionals/enthusiasts - the ones who can't do without optical viewfinders and a solid-feeling camera in their hands. Does this sound reasonable?

One other thing - if Panasonic seems to be in the driving seat for mFT, does this mean the lenses are likely to switch from mainly Zuiko to predominantly Leica?

Cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    So, do you have any other predictions on what Ian can't tell us until hegets the Sushi flavored gag out of his mouth?
    Bob
    Panasonic L10 repackaged.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast