Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: And I know there are several L1 users looking in...

yeah, it's still a great camera. i just wish i could update the sensor for the one on the gf1.
    not that i'm bothered with mine but an improvement is always good and i wouldn't mind to pay some 300 or 400 euros for the upgrade.

btw, for a 25 seconds photo those two guys weren't moving much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm interested to know what aspect of the L1 drew you to owning one? Was it the tradition aperture ring and shutter speed dial? Leica lens quality? The rangefinder styling of the body? Have you upgraded from an LC-1?

Ian
    I plead guilty to all of the above: the "retro" rangefinder styling, the ability to easily set the camera manually (i.e. apeture ring and shutter speed dial), and the lure of the Leica lens. I was lucky: I was able to purchase a wonderful L1 used at around a third of the retail price. (I also use a Digilux 2 and an LC1---both of which I love.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed. All of the above. And as to mp's an acquaintance bought a top end Canon a few years ago, for $5,000, new. It's sensor? 8mp. Big at the time. Average now. An L1 will make beautiful prints to 20X24. If you need something bigger, there's Genuine Fractals for $500.00. Cheaper than a new body. If neither of those will do, it's a freakish world you live in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbryant View Post
    Agreed. All of the above. And as to mp's an acquaintance bought a top end Canon a few years ago, for $5,000, new. It's sensor? 8mp. Big at the time. Average now. An L1 will make beautiful prints to 20X24. If you need something bigger, there's Genuine Fractals for $500.00. Cheaper than a new body. If neither of those will do, it's a freakish world you live in.
    Absolutely! How many cameras are resigned to the dustbin because they don't have ENOUGH pixels (means we can pick up a bargain though)? A lot of people associate number of pixels with quality, nothing could be further from the truth.
    For the professionals trying to sell to agencies etc then I can understand, but for most amateur togs, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.
    Unfortunately, there is the common assumption that you can BUY a good photograph, but that is what makes the commercial world go round.
    I have an L1 body and won't part with it, in a lot of respects I find it easier and more intuitive to use than the E-3. I love my E-3 but will happily take the L1 if I want/need a smaller lighter pack to carry.
    I have said this a number of times on these forums, a C**P photo is still a C**P photo whether the camera cost thousands or not, spending money doesn't remove the need for talent, it just makes one feel better
    It is human nature to think the equipment is the limiting factor, rather than our own ability -- I think Confusious said that, or am I getting confused.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And what;s up with the agency ting. You shoot stock with a 6 mp camera, then the agency only accepts images from 8mp equipment, then 10, then 12...what do they do with the old images, chuck 'em out because they're not good anymore?? You're dead on, Howi. MP's don't mean a thing, if your photo ain't got that swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As with everything, this too is relative. Depends on what you mean by professional as well. For example, would that be me doing a wedding or portraiture for some bucks on the side, and printing the results on my Epson? Or, would that be a submission to Arizona Highways---which only acepts large format film submissions?

And there seem to be megapixels and megapixels: if the sensor is well "matched" to the lens, as with the LC-1 (Digilux 2), though the cameras only register 5 megapixels, the results far outstrip what one would predict from knowing the megapixel count alone. My hero, Thorsten Overgaard, still uses and praises the Digilux 2 and produces excellent work with them. (This despite the fact that he has a couple of M9s available...)

As for me I contiune to love the L1 (Digilux 3) and consider that the Lumix 28-100, f 2.8 lens is one of the best around.
    Last edited by yiddishyak; 14th April 2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm interested to know what aspect of the L1 drew you to owning one? Was it the tradition aperture ring and shutter speed dial? Leica lens quality? The rangefinder styling of the body? Ian
    Like many others here have said, all of the above. One thing to add, though, is that because the L1's OVF is rather small I've found that adding the magnifying eyecup VYC0973 to be helpful. You can still see the exposure data (although you have to move your eye to the left to view it).

Ted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Blast from the past, logging in after a while. Have only recently sold the L1 to move to OM-D 1 for immage quality alone. The L1 does about everything right and temains a great camera to use.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345