Thread: Comparing the Digital Zuiko 50-200 old and new

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Comparing the Digital Zuiko 50-200 old and new

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have both the new and old 50-200s and will be able to bring them to the next meet.

Olympus are going to try and source some of the other lenses that had to go back, like the fisheye, 7-14, 18-180 and EC-20.

Ian
    I hope they do I think I'll be picking up the 50-500mm and the 25mm over the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed) but the fisheye and a teleconverter are vying for attention and I'm sure I wouldn't need too much convincing!
    Phil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ian,

Nice bit of work on the comparison images. I have to say, after poring over them they're very, very close. I'll perhaps give a slight nod to the original version based on wide open and corner performance. If nothing else, it allows one to focus (sorry) primarily on focusing speed to select one over the other, or to decide whether to upgrade.

Will the slidey-window hood from the SWD fit on the original? I never use a pola filter on my old version 50-200 because it's impossible to spin beneath the huge hood. Would be nice to opt for the new hood (not to mention the center-pinch cap).

Cheers,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm really keen to hear some feedback to these sample images. Is there a big difference?

Ian

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
    Hi Ian,

Nice bit of work on the comparison images. I have to say, after poring over them they're very, very close. I'll perhaps give a slight nod to the original version based on wide open and corner performance. If nothing else, it allows one to focus (sorry) primarily on focusing speed to select one over the other, or to decide whether to upgrade.

Will the slidey-window hood from the SWD fit on the original? I never use a pola filter on my old version 50-200 because it's impossible to spin beneath the huge hood. Would be nice to opt for the new hood (not to mention the center-pinch cap).

Cheers,

Rick
    Thanks Rick. In answer to your question about the old and new lens hood fittings, unfortunately, they are not interchangeable.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your followup, Ian.

I guess I'm not surprised, as the 12-60 hood bayonet design seems different than my other Zuikos--it's a much more positive lock.

I'm not sure I'm up to Dremeling a filter access window into my 50-200 lens hood, but I can't say I'm not tempted :-)

--Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I can't see much difference. What Olympus said was that the "boquet" should be diffferent but it's impossible to see in the published pictures. The first picture at F 2,8 differs in sharpness on the distant tree but I think that is because the two pictures aren't focused identically. It could actually be interesting with an "unsharp test" to see if they have bettered the "boquet" (if there is any such thing!)!

Per

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know I am digging up old discussion, and this is my first post on this site. But I have a question about these two lens and I feel this is the best suited place.
    Is the wide open aperture setting the same on both lens? ie at 100mm are they both f/3.2 or is there new one moving faster to the max f/3.5 setting similar to the 12-60mm lens does over the 14-54mm.
    thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy an E520 and have acces to a demo old 50-200 for $650. I was wanting to know whether the new lens would autofocus any quicker than the old one for the extra $400 on the 520

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    443 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Yes indeed, the Spanish customs caper ! The story goes from the bizarre to the ridiculous. The customs thing was resolved. Spanish customs completely refused to believe me and as I refused to pay their exorbitant tax demands they sent the lens back to Japan. Because the dollar had fallen significantly they supplier was keen to take the lens back into stock and he refunded me all my money including postage !

I then re-purchased the lens from a UK supplier. This supplier came with a reasonable reputation. I sent my money. The supplier held onto the money for ten days before sending the lens via TNT. According to the supplier the lens has been delivered. I have not received it. According to TNT it was "left with a neighbour" signed for by "Pencil & Paper" ! I live in a remote rural area in the middle of a National Park and the nearest neighbour is 4Km away.

At the moment neither TNT nor the supplier will take responsibility for the debacle. I cannot even get TNT to tell me the address they delivered it to or the name of the person signing for it. My only option at the moment is to start a general canvass of all the households in the local village looking for an unsolicited package with my name on it. Not as bad as it sounds as the village only has a population of 3500 ! I might be done by Christmas, if TNT is telling the truth and someone hasn't had it away with my lens and sold it !

Sorry for the tale of woe but I am feeling a little sorry for myself right now !
    Have you got to house 3499 yet?

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Barr1e

Good news is that I managed to locate the lens, all went well. It was being guarded safe and sound for me at the local tobacconist's shop. The story progressed from there. I bought the lens on eBay from an apparently reputable seller so i made a request for a refund of the postage costs. The to**er that sold it to me refused on the grounds that I received the lens so all was OK. I complained to eBay and they found in my favour, refunded the postage and made me an ex-gratia payment of 500 in compensation. eBay then went after the seller for the money - you should have seen the email I received from him later ! So all's well that end well ! My 50-200SWD ended up costing me 125 and the best part is that she who must be obeyed let me put the 525 saved back into the gear fund. After some judicious scrimping and saving on my part this fund has now reached 1200 and I'm ready to go shopping - just can't decide what to buy !

samxxz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Barr1e

Good news is that I managed to locate the lens, all went well. It was being guarded safe and sound for me at the local tobacconist's shop. The story progressed from there. I bought the lens on eBay from an apparently reputable seller so i made a request for a refund of the postage costs. The to**er that sold it to me refused on the grounds that I received the lens so all was OK. I complained to eBay and they found in my favour, refunded the postage and made me an ex-gratia payment of 500 in compensation. eBay then went after the seller for the money - you should have seen the email I received from him later ! So all's well that end well ! My 50-200SWD ended up costing me 125 and the best part is that she who must be obeyed let me put the 525 saved back into the gear fund. After some judicious scrimping and saving on my part this fund has now reached 1200 and I'm ready to go shopping - just can't decide what to buy !
    So you are saying that you robbed the seller of the lens? You are praising the honesty of the people around you so I guess you value honesty as a virtue. But I do not see honesty in you. A few days ago someone pleaded me on eBay to ship to Spain but I refused because of the potential trouble. Your story has made me more determined never sell to Spain.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast