I write a photography column for three local newspapers. For my research about one topic I wrote to Olympus and the other major manufacturers to ask about cameras bought from overseas. Only Olympus and Sony replied and only Olympus gave a full answer. I think it makes interesting reading.

Dear Ivor,

Thank you for your email regarding World Wide Warranties for Olympus products purchased from outside the European Union.

I can confirm that our one year World Wide Guarantee has been valid since 1 April 2004, and since September 2014, this has become known as a European Service Warranty.

Whether an OLYMPUS product is eligible or not depends on the actual model, and also if the original World Wide Warranty or Guarantee card that was enclosed with the product is presented along with any warranty claim.
Additionally, for warranty claims we require the copy of the original sales receipt which must include the date of sale, the price and VAT information.
This is standard Olympus policy to avoid fraudulent claims.

Olympus cameras purchased within the EU are covered under our usual two year manufacturers warranty.

For more information, please click on the link below:

If you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to contact me again and I will be happy to assist you further.
Kind regards,
Edita Warlopova
UK Customer &Technical Support