Thread: Lens distortion and aberration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Lens distortion and aberration

I might have posed this question some time back but here goes again, Will the in camera lens correction in the OM-D EM-10 Mk 1 rectify distortion and aberration when a Panasonic lens is fitted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: Lens distortion and aberration

I don't think so, but someone else may correct me on that.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

I always thought that it would be able to read the lens information and perform corrections, but I haven't read a definitive answer that I can recall. My only experience with a Panasonic lens on Olympus body is the Pan-Leica DG Summilux 25/1.4, which doesn't use software corrections.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks Hal & Ross, I have a couple of fellow photographers using Panasonic lenses on their Olympus cameras and I asked them the same question, but they did not have a technical answer, but both said they had not noticed any distortion or aberration problems so not to worry.

I have another question for you guys, I might try using my old 14-42 4/3 ED lens via an adaptor on my EM-10, what focal length do I end up with and usable apertures and which adaptor, there are several on the market, any advice would be good even if its 'don't do it'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Adaptors are on the market, but the cheap ones are cheap & may not be as reliable as the Olympus (or Panasonic) versions. If you could pick up the Oly MMF-2 cheap enough then that would be the best (or the Panasonic version) as it is cheaper than the weather sealed MMF-3 version. The focal lengths are the same since it is the same sensor (size) & the adaptor just makes up the distance from sensor that is taken up with a flappy mirror.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

I have used the MMF-3 adapter with an E-M5 and E-M1 mkII, both with the 12-60 SWD and 50-200 SWD lenses. The results varied a lot depending on the camera and the lens. The big issue was AF performance/speed. The E-M5 ranged from mediocre (12-60) to poor (50-200). The problem is that the older lenses were designed for phase-detection AF systems. The just don't respond well to the control signals put out by a contrast-detection system like that in the E-M5 and E-M10. The 12-60 did okay in bright light, but it tended to slow down a lot as the light levels dropped. The 50-200 often failed to focus even in daylight, and sometimes reported being in focus when it was not; focusing was also painfully slow.

Results are much better with the E-M1 mkII, which includes on-chip phase-detection. AF with the 12-60 is very fast and accurate. The 50-200 is a little slower, but good enough for all but the fastest action. The new camera has addressed just about all of my complaints, and it's made using my old lenses a pleasure again.

As Ross said, the genuine Olympus adapters are not cheap. If you had a great lens that you loved, I would say that it's worth getting the adapter to try it out. But for the 14-42, the adapter may not save you much over buying a comparable MFT lens, especially if you look for a used one. A dedicated MFT lens will almost certainly deliver much better AF performance on the E-M10 as well. Whether or not you find AF with your 14-42 acceptable will depend a lot on the lighting conditions and what you want/need from the lens.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was always under the impression the only m4/3 Oly cameras intended or designed for use with the older 4/3 lenses were the OM-D EM-1 mk1 and mk2.

I have the OM-D EM-1 mk1 and use a much cheaper Viltrox JY-43F Adapter. The Oly 50-200 and Sigma 150 work perfectly well with the same AF speed as they did with my Oly E-620 if not better, as do all my other 4/3 lenses.

Many people report bad results using the cheaper Non-Oly adapters but my Viltrox version has performed perfectly well and seems quite strong, well made and a tight fit against the camera and lens. I appreciate it's not weather sealed but for the difference in price and if you simply want to try the older 4/3 lenses, at around 30 or less ( ebay ), it's well worth a try IMHO.

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks every one for useful advice, I think I will stick with M4/3 lenses on the EM-10,