Thread: Olympus or Panasonic glass?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Olympus or Panasonic glass?

In terms of taking landscapes etc, which glass offers the best clarity. Panasonic or Olympus? This question is not aimed at the 'mine is better than yours' fraternity, it's a simple and open question. I spend part of the year living in Kenya and would like to be able to take photographs, which promotes the beauty of its people, nature and it's traditions through the lens. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Re: Olympus or Panasonic glass?

Hi -

This is not answering your question but Anne and I nearly always carry the Olympus 9-18 lens - it's light and does a good job especially when you have little space in the bag that is filled with the larger lenses.
    We enjoy using the Olympus pro lenses.

Regards Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
    Hi -

This is not answering your question but Anne and I nearly always carry the Olympus 9-18 lens - it's light and does a good job especially when you have little space in the bag that is filled with the larger lenses.
    We enjoy using the Olympus pro lenses.

Regards Barr1e
    Thank you Anne and Barrie, that is actually a good endorsement of the lens you speak of. Lightweight and field of view is important. By the way, this afternoon I enjoyed watching the steam train video you made. It was well thought out and fun looking.

Best wishes
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    497 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

It definitely depends on which lens. Panasonic have some great designers, but they do sometimes come up with disappointingly average models and sometimes with some odd characteristics, like the infamous 7-14; a great lens in terms sharpness, etc., but prone to some very unusual flare characteristics. Olympus, I feel, are more consistently good. All the Pro lenses are top notch and they have nice features like snap manual focus. Panasonic have some lenses optimised cleverly for video, which of course they are very experienced in. Panasonic may be a relatively new name in mainstream stills photography, but they have a very high reputation for designing and manufacturing moulded aspherical lenses, a technically demanding process. I have been to their Yamagata factory a couple of times and it's very impressive. And of course there is the Leica tie-up; Leica branded lenses made by Panasonic are all Panasonic designs that have to meet tough performance criteria laid down by Leica. I could go on for ages about both companies!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

You may want to consider build quality and sealing given the conditions equipment can be subject to in Kenya.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    You may want to consider build quality and sealing given the conditions equipment can be subject to in Kenya.
    You are right about the pathway. We live at 6,000 feet above sea level, where the air is a bit thinner and the light is bright. During the summer months out in the bush, temps can reach 45C and at the coast, where its hot and humid, 28/33C can be expected for most of the time except during the rainy season, when nothing really stays dry for very long, so rust is an enemy. Thank you for making those points about the conditions and weather sealing, so important.

Best wishes
    Phil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It definitely depends on which lens. Panasonic have some great designers, but they do sometimes come up with disappointingly average models and sometimes with some odd characteristics, like the infamous 7-14; a great lens in terms sharpness, etc., but prone to some very unusual flare characteristics. Olympus, I feel, are more consistently good. All the Pro lenses are top notch and they have nice features like snap manual focus. Panasonic have some lenses optimised cleverly for video, which of course they are very experienced in. Panasonic may be a relatively new name in mainstream stills photography, but they have a very high reputation for designing and manufacturing moulded aspherical lenses, a technically demanding process. I have been to their Yamagata factory a couple of times and it's very impressive. And of course there is the Leica tie-up; Leica branded lenses made by Panasonic are all Panasonic designs that have to meet tough performance criteria laid down by Leica. I could go on for ages about both companies!

Ian
    Thank you Ian. It's a lot to think about and with lens flare being a problem, that is something I would want to avoid, maybe it's the way the angle of light hits the lens, but it is a nuisance if it's all of the time. The other consideration is expense, Leica is expensive, so they are off my list of 'must have'.
    Best wishes
    Phil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    You are right about the pathway. We live at 6,000 feet above sea level, where the air is a bit thinner and the light is bright. During the summer months out in the bush, temps can reach 45C and at the coast, where its hot and humid, 28/33C can be expected for most of the time except during the rainy season, when nothing really stays dry for very long, so rust is an enemy. Thank you for making those points about the conditions and weather sealing, so important.

Best wishes
    Phil
    I was also thinking about keeping the dust out.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.