Thread: Changing my chainsaw blade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: Changing my chainsaw blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I used a battery-powered lawn mower when I was a teenager (40 years ago) - it was a cylinder type and great for lawn stripes and was powered by a 12V car battery. My parents had a big garden and a full charge seemed to cope fine with it. It was quite heavy though.

Ian
    That would have been fun & I guess it was charged all night. It had to start somewhere though. I bought a push mower like that going for a bargain sale, just for the fun of it. Only good for a well maintained flat lawn & not the thick Buffalo grass we have here after some sun & rain. I mulch all the time too which probably adds to the thickness, but it beats gathering up the grass clippings & having to put them somewhere & it feeds the lawn anyhow. My AEG is a push mower (as was the Ryobi 36v one I've had for a few years) but the Ego have a couple of self drive models (& another steel base version about to hit the stores).
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    496 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

I think ours was an Atco. it propelled itself and there was a thumb-operated clutch so you could push it without power. It was quite similar to this.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

There's always this way to cut your lawn & keep fit (or ruin your back).

My father had a couple several decades ago, being a good Englishman. Not sure if that had anything to do with it though.
    Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In April 2011, we lost the family farm to a wild fire, roughly about 500 acres, went up in smoke, Helderberg Mountain, Western Cape South Africa. The main house was lost because the fire brigade could not get to us in time and even with the chopper water bombing us, it was too late. We had to get out fast and save ourselves. We lost everything. However, later on we had a variety of chain saws to take down the trees as they had, had it. Dangerous tools. Still tried to train our farm workers on how to use them more than once, how to sharpen the blades and we insisted on safe practices with safety clothes. But the men kept on breaking the saws, getting them jammed in the trees etc, In the end we had to get outside contractors to come to cut the trees and attend to the fire breaks. It took us 3 years to rebuild everything, lessons were learned. We have to be prepared for the next bush fire. A beautiful location overlooking False Bay and the Cape of Good Hope, been in the family since the 1930's. Have I got the photo dimensions correct for the forum? Medium size.

1011PH0464 by postmaster philip, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    496 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Wow - real life drama!

Glad you and the family were safe and life goes on and here you are

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the time it was surreal and it felt like we were in a disaster movie. The gates and fences were burnt down and gouls would try and come onto the farm asking if anyone died. We had support from the emergency services after the fire, local businesses donated food and clothing. Eventually insurance paid up and paid for us to be rehoused and for armed support to protect the farm. I took hundreds of photos. It's amazing how the human spirit endures so much and how the goodness in people, is greater than the badness. Thank you Ian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts

That is rather sobering & sorry to hear of the loss. We've been through a bad one in 2013 but we were thankfully OK. At the same time we were getting dead trees down behind our house (to the north), but there's no way I will bring down trees myself, only cut up the logs for firewood afterwards or trees that may have fallen over & I use safety clothing as well. We had several friends in the lot that lost their houses in that 2013 fire & then the upper Mountains fire could have come down the Grose Valley to many of us, but thankfully the skycrane water bombing helicopter ('Elvis' was one of the named aircraft)) was able to fly when the others couldn't & was able to halt the spread of that fire then, but was not here for the beginning of the Linksview Road fire (north of us). It's always a concern during those seasons.

Here's a quote from the ABC News a year later.
    Destroying 196 homes, the fires burned on three fronts: Linksview Road, Mount York, and State Mine.

The Linksview Road fire began in Springwood on October 17 and spread to Winmalee and Yellow Rock, destroying 185 homes. Significant damage was sustained by 132 more homes.
    Ross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for your message and for sharing it. Such things are unbelievable. You have been through it as well. All that I could save on that day, was the laptop, passport, camera and the clothes I had on. Oh! and the wife. As Ian says, here we are and I count my blessings. I am new to the forum and to the Olympus forum on the other side. I have much to learn given what I have seen so far. By the way, I liked your photo of the chain saw and its blades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12