Thread: GH4 Accessorizing for filming hunts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GH4 Accessorizing for filming hunts

Hey guys,

First post. My name is Brad and I'm from Michigan but currently live in Maryland.

I have a question about the GH4 that I haven't been able to find an answer too.

Here's my scenario: I bow hunt. To capture my Hunts on film I need a lightweight run and gun setup that has a power zoom lens (I seen that Panasonic makes these for the GH4 already) and I need to be able to control the focus and zoom using an lanc control (like the VariZoom Stealth). The camera will be held by a tree arm that accepts tripod heads. I need a LANC control because I will be holding my bow in my left and have to set up the camera for the shot *at the same time.

Can this be accomplished with the GH4? I was originally looking at the Sony ax100 due to its 1 inch sensor and it being a dedicated camcorder but after seeing videos tht others were able to create with the GH4 I changed my mind.

The GH4 seems like a great camera fromwhat others have shared in the reviews. I know there are multiple ways to skin a cat and theres is ultimately no right answer. I have done very little filming myself so a lot of this is new to me but I'm anxious to learn. I purchased a Sony NEX5 in 2010 and have been happy with the picture quality up to this point. Im looking to find a filming setup that I can grow with and I feel like the GH4 is a great camera to accomplish this because there is a lot you can do with it. If you have another suggestion please feel free to share. I am looking to stay under or around $2000 with the camera, lanc controller, power zoom lens, speedbooster, and a mic.

Thank you for your time and help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: GH4 Accessorizing for filming hunts

The GH4 doesn't have lanc. It has a remote that will trigger record, but that is of little help to you. Maybe some combination of wifi for the camera and something else to remote point it. I don't think the GH4 is the best fit for your mission. Maybe others have some suggestions.

Best Regards....George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another thought is low light capability, as often game movement is early morning/late afternoon in the woods with little direct light. I would think this may be the first consideration, where a low light capable Sony cam may fit the bill better.

How do you intend to aim the camera?

Best Regards.....George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks George. That was the main reason I had considered the Sony AX100. But after seeing the GH4 with a speedbooster with what are being advertised as basic settings it actually looks better suprisingly. The camera will be mounted to a Muddy Outfitter camera arm on a fluid head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That looks like a nice mount. Do you intend to pre-aim the camera to the anticipated kill zone?

How are you going to know how much to zoom? are you going to mount the camera in a position that you can glance to see the LCD screen?

I'm also interested in how you intend to handle the lanc controller in your right hand and then use your release. I'm sure you have this figured out, just interested, although at my age I'm not hunting anymore, at least not big game.

It appears that the Sony AX100 can be hooked to a lanc via a cable to the usb, but I can't find anything on what controls are available then.

I think the speedbooster is a great option for using lens that may be already available, but I don't think there is any electronic connections for focus or zoom. There are a couple adapters that allow for auto-focus, but they currently don't improve the lens speed, that I am aware of.

I do like your project and am interested in how you can work out all the details. Maryland is a nice state BTW, I used to fly over it a lot years ago, and have stomped around it a bit on the ground.

Best Regards.....George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi SolemnlySworn,

While doing a search for another product I came across the Sony HXR-NX100. If 1080p HD is good for your purpose, this may provide the lanc controller feature you are seeking and provide reasonable low light capabilities. It does have a mini jack input for a remote controller with what they say has 'partial lanc function'. I couldn't find any details about what functions it will provide without spending additional time to research. I figured if you were interested, you would do that. It probably has a lot more features than you would like, but they are there if you choose to use them in the future. Street price for this would probably be about $1,500.00, or maybe a used model with a warranty for less. Here is the Sony link if you are interested.....

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-bro...duct-HXRNX100/

Best Regards.....George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Six View Post
    Hi SolemnlySworn,

While doing a search for another product I came across the Sony HXR-NX100. If 1080p HD is good for your purpose, this may provide the lanc controller feature you are seeking and provide reasonable low light capabilities. It does have a mini jack input for a remote controller with what they say has 'partial lanc function'. I couldn't find any details about what functions it will provide without spending additional time to research. I figured if you were interested, you would do that. It probably has a lot more features than you would like, but they are there if you choose to use them in the future. Street price for this would probably be about $1,500.00, or maybe a used model with a warranty for less. Here is the Sony link if you are interested.....

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-bro...duct-HXRNX100/

Best Regards.....George
    Deciding to go with the AX100 at this point. Thanks for the help Eagle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would be interested in hearing what your setup ends up and how well it works out for you.

Best Regards.......George

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok George I'll repost in here once I have everything