Thread: Help me pick some lenses (Newbie)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help me pick some lenses (Newbie)

Hi All,

Budget:
    I have around a $2000-$2500 budget (AUD) to get everything I need.

Camera:
    I have decided to get the olympus omd em1 mark 2 as I am fairly shaky in the hands and think the 5 axis stabilization might help (when not using tripod)

Usage:
    Me and my family plan to do extended travel for the next 2 years, teaching English overseas and we plan to run a little travel blog for friends and family back home to keep up to date with us, so nice photos, maybe videos?

I am fairly amateur at photography, but would like something I can learn and develop my skills with.

Plan to be taking landscapes, street views, food, portraits and low light (possibly like to do some long exposure night skies with stars etc) but would like to keep the lenses smallish as I find I stop taking my camera out when I am lugging huge setups around and I would like to keep the Olympus splash proof/weather proof and prefer metal bodied lenses for durability.

I just cannot decide what lenses to buy? And I need your help.
    Can you suggest some that will cover these types of photos? (prefer to stick with olympus lenses)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: Help me pick some lenses (Newbie)

That sounds interesting with what you will be doing, but I'm not sure if your budget is for the lens or the whole outfit.
    The following can be pre-ordered from my regular supplier (with normally good prices for Aussie stock) OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 MARK II SINGLE LENS KIT WITH 12-100MM LENS $4,449

If I understand you though that the budget for the whole kit is up to $2500, then I would point you to the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II ADVENTURE KIT WITH 14-150MM LENS - BLACK $1,539 & this has better 'in body image stabilsation' than the 1st E-M1.

Both are weather sealed body & lens. There is a battery grip available for the E-M5 Mk II, OLYMPUS HLD-8 POWER BATTERY HOLDER FOR OM-D E-M5 MARK II - HLD8 $295 & then you would need at least one other battery (I strongly recommend to only use Olympus batteries) OLYMPUS BLN-1 BATTERY PACK - BLN1 $78

If you didn't want the battery grip, then the next best convenient grip attachment that still allows access to the battery compartment is the 'L' bracket version & the side bracket can be taken off if it isn't needed. This one on ebay would be a good option (search the same for the best seller though).
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QR-L-Brac...UAAOSwWTRWysDy

Other E-M5 Mk II kits are OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II PRO KIT WITH 12-40MM LENS - BLACK $1,789 or this OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II WEATHERPROOF KIT WITH 12-50MM LENS - SILVER $1,499 Notice that the E-M5 Mk II comes in black or black & silver.

I hope that helps & let me know if that has answered your query or not.

For myself, I would love the OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100MM F4.0 IS PRO LENS $1,699 as a great all round travel Pro lens, but the kit price with the E-M1 Mk II is not cheap as I have listed at the top.

BTW, you might want to correct the spelling for your location as the Adelaide is missing the 'l'.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

$2000-25000 is for the entire package, so included the camera body.

I have found the body for $800 on eglobal, so was thinking of trying them.

Basically I have 1200-1700 to spend on lenses, mostly wanting help picking the lenses for the type of photography mentioned?

(landscapes, street views, food, portraits and low light (possibly like to do some long exposure night skies with stars etc)

Unsure if I get tele or primes or which ones to pick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adzy View Post
    Hi

$2000-25000 is for the entire package, so included the camera body.

I have found the body for $800 on eglobal, so was thinking of trying them.

Basically I have 1200-1700 to spend on lenses, mostly wanting help picking the lenses for the type of photography mentioned?

(landscapes, street views, food, portraits and low light (possibly like to do some long exposure night skies with stars etc)

Unsure if I get tele or primes or which ones to pick?
    If you want low light with those sort of subjects then the 12-40 F2.8 might be the best option then. Unfortunately Cambuy had a sale on that lens ($649) that ended Sunday night. If low light wasn't the priority then the 12-100 F4 lens would be excellent. BTW, which body did you get? Was that the E-M1 (Mk I)?
    Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just realised I completely messed that up, going to get the olympus omd em5 mark 2 I think, for $800 I think it should do the job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Just realised I completely messed that up, going to get the olympus omd em5 mark 2 I think, for $800 I think it should do the job?
    That sounds like the best model to go for for what you're describing.
    Here's Cambuy's (Olympus) prices to compare with.

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II BODY ONLY - BLACK
    $1,079

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II ADVENTURE KIT WITH 14-150MM LENS - SILVER
    $1,539

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II PRO KIT WITH 12-40MM LENS - SILVER
    $1,789

Keep in mind that 'L' bracket grip, bottom plate too. That can make handling much better (or you may prefer it as it is).

Also, don't forget the Olympus promotions (only available with purchases from authorised Australian stock sellers).

A warning on some 'cheap' sellers, they can be problematic to deal with & may be selling grey import goods.
    Ross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Decided I will start with the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II PRO KIT WITH 12-40MM LENS.

Maybe get a little small prime and then buy the 40-150 pro (when funds allow)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Decided I will start with the OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 MARK II PRO KIT WITH 12-40MM LENS.

Maybe get a little small prime and then buy the 40-150 pro (when funds allow)
    That sounds like a good move to me.

Ross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

if you get your camera soon. I would recommend that you go to one of these free Olympus events. i went to Melbourne recently it was very good for tips and tricks about your camera

https://cwo-adelaide-14dec.splashthat.com/

Graeme
    OM-D E-M1 | mzd 7-14 pro | mzd 12-40 Pro|mzd 40-150 Pro| MC 1.4| manfrotto 198xprob | benro 98mc monopod| gorillapod| lowepro terraclime 100| L R4 | Adobe MS 6

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.