Thread: Whether to jump ship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether to jump ship

Hi all,

What to do? I am starting to get more and more commissions for photographic work. I need a second, decent camera.

I really love my E-5 but it is a few years old now and other cameras have a much better low light performance at higher ISOs, which is becoming more and more important. I cannot buy another new Four Thirds DSLR any more and mFT are too fiddly for my big hands.

The E-5 is still a decent camera, and I would probably sell it.

So, before I jump ship and join the Nikanon crew, any thoughts?

Ivor
    Web: www.ivorphotography.co.uk

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Whether to jump ship

To some extent it may depend on what types of commissions you are receiving as different cameras and lens systems offer specific advantages according to your photographic needs.

I have a mix of 4/3, m4/3, Fuji-X, Canon full frame, medium format digital and a full range of Contax 35mm cameras and Zeiss/Yashica lenses. My Olympus E-M1, Canon 1Ds MkII and digitised Contax 645 are the ones that get used the most; I too have large hands and have had big handling issues with cameras like the E-P3 and E-M5 but my E-M1 with the HLD-7 grip has been a revelation. And of course, I can still use my 4/3 lenses and with the E-M1 and MMF-3 they still focus quickly. That could save you a lot of money in having to replace an entire series of lenses. If you do a lot of product photography, the focus-stacking in the E-M1 can be a massive bonus. With some fast primes and impressive, weather sealed zooms, outdoor action photography is also a breeze as are low light events such as concerts. Why not pop round to a dealer and get your hands on an E-M1 with the HLD-7 grip and its kit 12-40 zoom (stunning image quality) and see how you get on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a good idea, thank-you.

The type of photography is portraits and weddings, with some landscape sales too.

I do enjoy (for my own pleasure) wildlife photography and the E-5 has been great for that and that is where a full frame would drop off in its convenience. If I go full frame then I might keep the E-5 for that, but I also need to consider the resale value of it now.

Any other thoughts?

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, the one thing I'd want for weddings is dual card slots with the ability to use one as a clone. Although failure rates for SD cards are low these days, you can't risk it with a wedding. I'm not sure whether the new E-M1 MkII will offer twin slots but I'd never risk weddings without them; until the MkII spec is confirmed (Photokina, September) that will only leave the big DSLR option. For everything else, the E-M1 (especially if you plan to make use of 4/3 lenses) and primes like the 75mm for portraiture, 17mm 1.8 for weddings and the 7-14mm wide-angle zoom for landscape will cover many of your needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by biggles3 View Post
    Well, the one thing I'd want for weddings is dual card slots with the ability to use one as a clone. Although failure rates for SD cards are low these days, you can't risk it with a wedding. I'm not sure whether the new E-M1 MkII will offer twin slots but I'd never risk weddings without them; until the MkII spec is confirmed (Photokina, September) that will only leave the big DSLR option. For everything else, the E-M1 (especially if you plan to make use of 4/3 lenses) and primes like the 75mm for portraiture, 17mm 1.8 for weddings and the 7-14mm wide-angle zoom for landscape will cover many of your needs.
    The rumours a stating it will have dual SD slots, so only need to wait another month to find out.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

My situation is quite different from yours, Ivor, since I only do photography for my own pleasure (no commissions). But I've been eagerly awaiting the E-M1 mkII as an upgrade from my E-M5. I've been eyeing the Fuji system and find it very appealing . . . but the rumors around the E-M1 replacement are very promising, and could definitely save you/me a lot of money in replacing lenses if we switched to another system. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new Olympus flagship will deliver top image quality and improved AF performance with the older 4/3 lenses. It could be just what both of us are looking for.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I am warming towards the OMDs. The dual card slot is a very good point and so I'll hang on for the mark ii to see what it brings.

I even emailed Olympus for them to persuade me to choose Oly over a 5Diii. A couple of quotes:

"The E-M1, when fitted with the MMF-3 adapter will allow you to use all your E-5 lenses with no restriction. This is because the E-M1 sensor uses both Phase and Contrast Detection for auto focus (the only one in the OM-D range).
    it is also a little bigger than the others having a nicely designed grip on the camera and with the addition of the portrait grip feels sturdy and comfortable even with the 300mm lens attached."

and

"Your choice in camera will ultimately be down to what you will use it for. If you want something heavy, clunky and slow in focus to ensure you can print something off at a size of 8x12 feet then the Canon may be your tool.
    If you want a high quality camera without the weight and with a much more affordable tag, the OM-D's are your ticket.

Between the E-M1 and E-M5 MKII the E-M1 is the recommended camera for anyone using legacy lenses. If you're going to change your whole kit, then the E-M5 MKII is my recommendation based purely on low light capability and versatility. With the grip it's just as handy."

But I hope that the EM1 Mk ii might also address the low light issue.

I've not used wireless on a camera before. Is it possible to constantly feed images taken on the camera to my Android Smart Phone using wireless?

With the E-5 it takes ages to copy from the CF card to the SD. I hope the OMD E-M1 mkii will allow writing to both cards at once. That was always a shortcoming in my eyes for the E-5.

Thanks again all for your answers.

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5