Thread: new icon: rectangle with 3 stars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

new icon: rectangle with 3 stars

I had some spare time today and played around a bit with the myriad features of my om-d em-1 (always dangerous!) and, so far as I can tell, everything still works but a new icon has mysteriously appeared. It is a rectangle with three stylized stars overlaying it that appears in the uppermost right corner of my screen for about a second when the camera is powered on, and then disappears. I don't recall ever seeing it before in my ~2 years with this camera and I wonder if anyone knows what is denotes?

Thanks--Anatector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: new icon: rectangle with 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Anatector View Post
    I had some spare time today and played around a bit with the myriad features of my om-d em-1 (always dangerous!) and, so far as I can tell, everything still works but a new icon has mysteriously appeared. It is a rectangle with three stylized stars overlaying it that appears in the uppermost right corner of my screen for about a second when the camera is powered on, and then disappears. I don't recall ever seeing it before in my ~2 years with this camera and I wonder if anyone knows what is denotes?

Thanks--Anatector
    Someone else noticed that elsewhere & also queried it, but it has been on the cameras for some time, like my E-M5 (& with a flashing blue LED on DSLR & E-P1 & 2 models) as it is the SSWF indicator (Super Sonic Wave Filter), that is, the initial sensor cleaning action at power up that shakes any dust off the sensor. With that it is best to have the camera basically in normal position to let the dust fall to the bottom of the sensor area (where I think DSLRs used to have a collection pad) & not facing down where the dust would fall onto the rear lens element etc.

The E-M1 User Manual (Version 4.0) has it on page 144.
    Cleaning and checking the image pickup device
    This camera incorporates a dust reduction function to keep dust from getting on the
    image pickup device and to remove any dust or dirt from the image pickup device
    surface with ultrasonic vibrations. The dust reduction function operates when the
    camera is turned on.
    The dust reduction function operates at the same time as the pixel mapping, which
    checks the image pickup device and image processing circuitry. Since dust reduction
    is activated every time the camera’s power is turned on, the camera should be held
    upright for the dust reduction function to be effective.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the displayed icon though.
    Last edited by Ross; 26th May 2016 at 12:40 AM.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Just in case you haven't seen my last update, I have edited the above post a few times.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You've done it again Ross; makes sense.

I guess I just never noticed the icon before it disappeared from the screen--thanks for your help.

It would be nice if Olympus provided a key to the icons they use--I've been unable to find any such thing on the internet or at the Olympus site.

Anatector