Thread: EM1 lens issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EM1 lens issue

I have upgraded from a Canon SX30IS to the Olympus OMD-EM1 and find it a lot better camera, but that should go without saying, considering the extra $$. The Canon has a 4.3-150 zoom (35X). I bought the Olympus with a 14-40 ED f2.8 lens which is great. I soon found that I couldn't get the low light astro shots that I got with the Canon (although they were a bit grainy due to the max ISO of 1600), so I bought a 40-150 ED f4-5.6 lens that I thought would give me similar zoom using it and the 14-40 lens. But I can't get the same size image of the moon on the Olympus as I can on the Canon. Can anybody tell me why and what I might need to do to achieve this? I want to get similar image sizes with the increased resolution available from the Olympus's processor. Some of my terminology might not be correct, but I hope that the forum members get my drift. Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: EM1 lens issue

Quote Originally Posted by Shipo View Post
    I have upgraded from a Canon SX30IS to the Olympus OMD-EM1 and find it a lot better camera, but that should go without saying, considering the extra $$. The Canon has a 4.3-150 zoom (35X). I bought the Olympus with a 14-40 ED f2.8 lens which is great. I soon found that I couldn't get the low light astro shots that I got with the Canon (although they were a bit grainy due to the max ISO of 1600), so I bought a 40-150 ED f4-5.6 lens that I thought would give me similar zoom using it and the 14-40 lens. But I can't get the same size image of the moon on the Olympus as I can on the Canon. Can anybody tell me why and what I might need to do to achieve this? I want to get similar image sizes with the increased resolution available from the Olympus's processor. Some of my terminology might not be correct, but I hope that the forum members get my drift. Thanks in anticipation.
    G'day. I am actually partially familiar with Canon SX30IS since I bought my daughter that camera some years ago & I also have the manual downloaded. That camera uses a 35 times zoom lens with equivalent range from 24mm to 840mm (for a 35mm format) which would be equal to 12mm to 420mm for the E-M1. So the most affordable way for you to go would be to get the M.ZD75-300mm lens as this will get you closer to zoom magnification you are looking for. This supplier has it for $489 & they are a safe & nice company to deal with. https://www.cambuy.com.au/collection...nt=14061613703
    The other thing you can also use on your camera (for a jpeg output) is use the 2X DTC (two times Digital TeleConverter) accessible in Menu 1 & can be programmed to a Function button for a quick access (such as the Video Record button). That would only get you to 300mm with the 40-150 lens but with the 75-300 lens would look like 600mm (1200mm for a 35mm format). I would recommend saving both JPEG (Large Fine or Large SuperFine) & RAW to be able to edit better afterwards as well as use the full image saved in the RAW file if the 2 X DTC is too cropped than that desired.

BTW, do you have the latest Firmware 4.1 in your camera & also downloaded the latest Version 4.0 manual (PDF)?
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile Re: EM1 lens issue

Thanks Ross, I didn't know that the SX30 was that powerful. I guess that I may have been on the right track though, because I had researched the 75-300 lens and Camera Pro here in Brisbane has it for $497. I keep forgetting about the additional 2X magnification, so I will try that tonight. Once again thank you for putting me on the right track. I have the latest firmware for the Olympus and the 12-40 lens, but haven't downloaded the latest manual, so I will do that and check the differences between old and new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: EM1 lens issue

Quote Originally Posted by Shipo View Post
    Thanks Ross, I didn't know that the SX30 was that powerful. I guess that I may have been on the right track though, because I had researched the 75-300 lens and Camera Pro here in Brisbane has it for $497. I keep forgetting about the additional 2X magnification, so I will try that tonight. Once again thank you for putting me on the right track. I have the latest firmware for the Olympus and the 12-40 lens, but haven't downloaded the latest manual, so I will do that and check the differences between old and new.
    There's been quite a few additions & changes to the firmware since the beginning & why they've had to update the manual etc a few times.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).