Thread: plot thickens: no BULB, Live BULB or Live TIME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

plot thickens: no BULB, Live BULB or Live TIME

I just posted this as a reply to yesterday's thread but figured it might go un-seen. So, here it is again as a new thread--sorry for the repetition.

Dear Rob and others--After doing the basic reset that Rob recommended I spent the afternoon experimenting with Live Bulb and Live Time and all worked as it should have. Then, I did a quick check on mode S (shutter speed priority) to see if it also would go as long as 60 seconds and, lo and behold, it stopped at 1/8 of a second as mode M had the previous day. So I then checked on M again and found that it had reverted to yesterday's behavior and would also go no longer than 1/8 of a second anymore.

So...I did the basic reset once again and it corrected the problem in both modes M and S. But, each time I do this, I have to go in and re-customize half a dozen or so things to settings I like which is a nuisance so my question for today is......

....does anyone have an idea what I might be doing that causes the camera to lose the ability for long exposures, longer than 1/8 second, and need repeated basic resetting?

Thanks for any insights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Re: plot thickens: no BULB, Live BULB or Live TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Anatector View Post
    I just posted this as a reply to yesterday's thread but figured it might go un-seen. So, here it is again as a new thread--sorry for the repetition.

Dear Rob and others--After doing the basic reset that Rob recommended I spent the afternoon experimenting with Live Bulb and Live Time and all worked as it should have. Then, I did a quick check on mode S (shutter speed priority) to see if it also would go as long as 60 seconds and, lo and behold, it stopped at 1/8 of a second as mode M had the previous day. So I then checked on M again and found that it had reverted to yesterday's behavior and would also go no longer than 1/8 of a second anymore.

So...I did the basic reset once again and it corrected the problem in both modes M and S. But, each time I do this, I have to go in and re-customize half a dozen or so things to settings I like which is a nuisance so my question for today is......

....does anyone have an idea what I might be doing that causes the camera to lose the ability for long exposures, longer than 1/8 second, and need repeated basic resetting?

Thanks for any insights.
    Yes, you were probably using Silent Shutter (electronic shutter) which has a limited shutter speed & ISO range. This information is on page 172 of the latest User Manual (Version 4.0). I assume you also have the latest firmware 4.1 in the camera too? The Reset would have worked because it would have put it back to Normal Shutter.

I hope that helps.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Re: plot thickens: no BULB, Live BULB or Live TIME

You are exactly right Ross--I was indeed using the silent shutter and as I switch from that to either anti-shock or regular mode, the slow shutter speeds come and go, just like you say.

I can't thank you enough. Boy-oh-boy--this is a complex, but incredibly able camera. I doubt I'll ever understand half of what it can do but the other half will keep me happy for many years!!

Thanks again--Anatector