Thread: LUMIX G7 soft pictures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LUMIX G7 soft pictures

Just bought a LUMIX G7. My 1st issue was at every ISO I got noise. I stopped using the "electronic" shutter and switched to "mechanical" issue resolved - ISO's 100,200,400 no noise.

Now next issue, all my pics are "soft". Even on tripod w/ "stablization" off. To get them sharp I have to tweak them post with PS.

I'm using the kit lens 14-42mm. I'm debating whether to rent one of the Panasonic $1000 lens to see if issue is with kit lens or just the body or send it back and get myself a Sony a6000 w/ prime lens. Really like the G7 but I need tack sharp photos.

Q: Is this the nature of m4/3 cameras ? Images will be "soft" ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: LUMIX G7 soft pictures

1/ you should not get noise at ISO 100,200,400 with electronic shutter
    2/ what do you mean by soft? put some pics up so we can have a look.
    PS cannot put sharpness back if it isn't there to start with!
    3/ nothing wrong with the kit lens per say
    4/ No! that is NOT the nature of m43 cameras, images are NOT soft on any of the m43 cameras I have used (use) including GF1, G5 and OMD M10. there are plenty of pics on the forum to look at that will prove that.

what settings have you touched?
    I would suggest something wrong with (in order of pref):-
    You - don't take offence at that, we all do silly things sometimes
    the camera settings
    the lens

most likely scenario is you have altered some menu settings.

I doubt whether a $1000 lens will make THAT much difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) I did. I only figured it out because DP Review mentioned it.
    2) I'll post some. "soft" meaning pics aren't "tack" sharp. Crystal clear etc... Yes, PS via its raw can give your pics a kick. Make sharp. Clearer etc...
    3) That's what I'm trying to determine.
    4) Settings all default except for "electronic" shutter.

Fault with me ? You mentioned lens ? Maybe I put the lens on reverse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

All RAW files require some processing, including sharpening, to produce a good image. It may be that the default processing applied by your software, for this camera, does not include much or any sharpening, hence the observed softness. Once you edit the RAW images, are you getting good results or are the images still soft?

The G7 is not by nature any softer than other cameras; its sensor is quite good, and capable of excellent images. Panasonic kit lenses are good compared to other kit lenses, but definitely not in the same league as much more expensive zooms or a prime lens. Maybe you can try out one of these lens options with your camera in a shop and see how much of a difference it makes. It could be that you're more particular about sharpness than some people, or it could be that your lens is faulty. Or something in the camera could be out of spec.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    All RAW files require some processing, including sharpening, to produce a good image. It may be that the default processing applied by your software, for this camera, does not include much or any sharpening, hence the observed softness. Once you edit the RAW images, are you getting good results or are the images still soft?

The G7 is not by nature any softer than other cameras; its sensor is quite good, and capable of excellent images. Panasonic kit lenses are good compared to other kit lenses, but definitely not in the same league as much more expensive zooms or a prime lens. Maybe you can try out one of these lens options with your camera in a shop and see how much of a difference it makes. It could be that you're more particular about sharpness than some people, or it could be that your lens is faulty. Or something in the camera could be out of spec.

- Hal -
    Thx Hal. I don't have camera anymore. Sent it back, didn't want risk losing money. Test I did: I placed camera on tripod and manually focused using peak focusing. Photos still came out soft. Raw helped a bit in sharpening though. It was a used camera so may be something wrong with it or my expectations where bit too high for its kit lens.