Thread: Recommend lens for gh4 makeup tutorial?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recommend lens for gh4 makeup tutorial?

Greetings i am about to buy a panasonic gh4, but am unsure what lens would best suit my need. I hope someone can recommend either a native lens, or a speedboost combo. Id like to keep cost down, while maintaining a prosumer quality. As all things in this game im prepared to sacrifice price for quality if needed.

My daughter has a talent for doing makeup, and face paint type things. I would like a lens for close up face detail that can auto focus well, to track the pens on her face and such.

She would like to make tutorials for YouTube. I want to dive into video editing and photography anyway. For other projects. I know the g4 is the camera I want to learn on, even though its not the best choice for a newbie. For the unlimited record time, and 4k...ill learn as i go, hopefully with internet assistance from fine folks like yourself

I just would like to begin my learning with a lens suited for this project.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Recommend lens for gh4 makeup tutorial?

The camera will come with a quite capable kit lens, unless you go for a body only option.
    I am using a G X Vario 12-35 f2.8 and a G X Vario 35-100 f2.8 lenses, they are the more expensive in the LUMIX lineup but in my view worth every penny. They maintain the chosen aperture throughout the zoom range, which I suspect would be better for your video work, don't really know as I dont do video. The focusing is silent, I know that to be good for video.
    They are super sharp giving wonderful quality images.
    If cost is a factor concider second hand, mine were, one from eBay a private sale and one from Wex photo, or it may have been Park cameras can't actually remember.

The lens in my view is then most important part of any camera and thats were the least amount of compromise should be made, buy a cheaper LUMIX body but get the best glass if your budget is stretched. That's my advice

Patrick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Re: Recommend lens for gh4 makeup tutorial?

If you don't need a zoom, a "portrait" lens would seem to serve you well. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 are both excellent choices, and very reasonably priced. Olympus frequently has sales, offering the 45mm for $50-$100 off--an excellent deal on such a sharp lens.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.