Thread: firmware updates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

firmware updates

Hello guys! I just registered. This is my first time to join forums. I am no pro photographer, just an enthusiast or a hobbyist at the most. I've had my omd em5 for over 2 years now and haven't really used it much. I went to Korea the other week bringing with me my Sony camera. I was thinking of bringing my oly but decided not to due to additional weight on my back. I actually regretted that decision. Now I'm trying to relearn and get the most out of this expensive, not used much camera. Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: firmware updates

My omd em5 is still on the v1.2 firmware. I saw in the Olympus Web site that it already had several updates. Would appreciate if you guys could tell me whether I could upgrade v1.2 directly to the latest version, or do I need to do it one upgrade at a time until I get to the latest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

If you use the Olympus Updater software, I believe that it will tell you if you can update directly to the latest version. I recently updated my E-M5 to the latest firmware, and I didn't have the most recent previous version; it allowed me to update directly to the latest, but I don't recall which version I had installed before.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duff64 View Post
    My omd em5 is still on the v1.2 firmware. I saw in the Olympus Web site that it already had several updates. Would appreciate if you guys could tell me whether I could upgrade v1.2 directly to the latest version, or do I need to do it one upgrade at a time until I get to the latest.
    With that level of FW it will take two stages to do the update, but it does state that you will need to start the process again to continue to update to the latest level.
    Here are the details for all the levels of updates & also showing the instructions when at FW 1.2 (found here http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/u.../index22a.html).
    Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    [ E-M5 ]
    For updating the camera to the latest version, you are required to update the camera twice.

If the current version is 1.0 or 1.1:
    First, update the camera to version 1.3, and then update to the latest version.

If the current version is 1.2:
    First, update the camera to version 1.4, and then update to the latest version.

Ver.2.2
    (Jan.28 2016)
    Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function.
    * The camera body recognizes the IS built into the lens, allowing for optimal image stabilizing effects.
    * Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.
    * You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.
    Compatible with Windows 10.
    Ver.2.1
    (Nov.13 2014)
    Precision of AF when M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO lens is mounted has been improved.
    Ver.2.0
    (Jan. 29, 2014)
    Small AF target (icon) was added to the AF target settings.
    ISO LOW (100 equivalent) was expanded on the low sensitivity side.
    Ver.1.7
    (Jun. 12, 2013)
    Supported VF-4 electronic view finder.
    * Automatic display switching by the eye sensor is not supported.
    Ver.1.6
    (Feb. 19, 2013)
    The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
    The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.
    Ver.1.5
    (Oct. 2, 2012)
    Operating sounds in the photo ready mode were decreased.
    Use of the Image stabilizer function by setting the Focal length of an OM lens attached with an adapter was enabled even in Movie mode.
    All updates up to version 1.2 are included.
    Ver.1.4
    (Oct. 2, 2012)
    Update functions for firmware version 1.2 have been modified. Camera functions are the same as version 1.2. After updating to ver. 1.4, please update the camera to the latest version.
    Ver.1.3
    (Oct. 2, 2012)
    Update functions for firmware prior to version 1.1 have been modified. Camera functions are the same as version 1.1. After updating to ver. 1.3, please update the camera to the latest version.
    Ver.1.2
    (Jul. 12, 2012)
    Improved sleep recovery operation.
    AF target is indicated when using C-AF+TR while shooting sequential images using Sequential L.
    Added function to automatically move zoom to the following zoom positions when underwater macro mode or underwater wide mode is selected.
    (Only when M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50 mm F3.5-6.3 EZ is attached)
    Underwater wide mode: Wide setting
    Underwater macro mode: Telephoto setting
    Ver.1.1
    (Apr. 18, 2012)
    Issue of updates stopping while updating firmware has been resolved.
    Image stabilizer function when using the following lenses has been modified.
    ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye
    ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm F3.5-6.3
    LEICA D VARIO-ELMAR 14-150mm
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).