Thread: Advice needed panasonic and Olympus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Advice needed panasonic and Olympus

Still looking to downsize,what interests me is the Panasonic 100-400 but the olympus EM5 MK11 body interests me,would this be a good combination.
    From what i understand i would need to use the lens OS but if i went to legacy lenses for the other focal lengths i could use the Olympus IBS with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Re: Advice needed panasonic and Olympus

If you plan to hand-hold a lens as big as the Panasonic 100-400, you will probably want to get the grip for the E-M5 II; there is not much for your right hand to grab onto otherwise, so a big lens can feel unwieldy. If you plan to use a tripod, then this won't be an issue. In all other ways, this is a perfectly good camera/lens combination.

I don't have any lenses with built-in IS, but my understanding is that you can use either the lens IS or the body IS. They won't operate at the same time, but you should be able to choose whichever one you want. It's hard to say without testing which will work best.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Oly is launching next week, What's the panny offering? I have not been keeping myself updated on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Sorry should have come back sooner to conclude this,in the end i got the GX8,12-35,45-175,100-400 i wanted the external controls of the GX8 its viewfinder and dual IBIS.
    Its a struggle in some ways after a DSLR but slowly coming together,putting most of my time into cracking birds in flight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for info..........

\L]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Still looking to downsize,what interests me is the Panasonic 100-400 but the olympus EM5 MK11 body interests me,would this be a good combination.
    From what i understand i would need to use the lens OS but if i went to legacy lenses for the other focal lengths i could use the Olympus IBS with them.
    Good day to you Mike, how did you get on with the GX8 and the 100-400 for birds in flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best wishes
    Phil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    Good day to you Mike, how did you get on with the GX8 and the 100-400 for birds in flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got on great with them,now back on Nikon but thats a differnt story and not due to shortcomings of the mirrorless gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    I got on great with them,now back on Nikon but thats a differnt story and not due to shortcomings of the mirrorless gear.
    Thanks for that Mike. I just sold all of my Nikon DSLR kit to a chap in North America last week. I really admire people who know what they want, be it a Panasonic or an Olympus system then go out and get it, just like that. For myself it is a torturous affair, something which I suspect I am not alone in struggling with. Most of the high quality lenses are quite expensive, which is okay if you are working or photography is part of the job, but being retired, I have to watch my budget. I had better get my skates on and make the choice. I think we might have exchanged posts on another photography forum, not Oly or Pana.
    Best wishes
    Phil