Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manual lenses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Re: Manual lenses

Not much choice left John. I do what I can.
    So, I went to National Camera today as they had 2 Pen F's and brought my trusty 35mm Summicron with Panasonic adapter. Upshot is a couple of the guys there had been fiddling with it all day with a 50 mm Summilux and could not get any focus peaking to work with a "legacy" lens. Then they tried an OMD-EM-5II and EM-1 and could not get it to work with them. I tried it with them and nothing. When you mounted a m4/3 lens, manual focus peaking worked fine. They stuck my Summicron on a Sony and, well, well, focus peaking.
    Do I not know something or is manual focus peaking only for m4/3 lenses. That would be a shame...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Not much choice left John. I do what I can.
    So, I went to National Camera today as they had 2 Pen F's and brought my trusty 35mm Summicron with Panasonic adapter. Upshot is a couple of the guys there had been fiddling with it all day with a 50 mm Summilux and could not get any focus peaking to work with a "legacy" lens. Then they tried an OMD-EM-5II and EM-1 and could not get it to work with them. I tried it with them and nothing. When you mounted a m4/3 lens, manual focus peaking worked fine. They stuck my Summicron on a Sony and, well, well, focus peaking.
    Do I not know something or is manual focus peaking only for m4/3 lenses. That would be a shame...
    I've no experience of focus peaking but it seems that it would be especially useful with legacy lenses and it is a real shame if it only works with m43 lenses.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

That is the question...WHY would you want to use manual focus on an automatic lens?
    I'm about ready to go to Sony. I think Olympus has their collective heads up...their thinking is all wrong...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Ok, I think I might have something here. Of course that will require another trip to the brick and mortar.
    Seems as though you have to assign focus peaking to a button before it will display. We shall see...My tentative apologies to the collective heads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Focus Peaking is on the E-P5, E-M1, E-M5II and the PEN-F

It works with manual lenses. Only today I used it with the OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

The latest firmware provides for colours other than white to be used to indicate the band that is in focus and provides a reasonable indication of DoF.

Manual pre-focus remains a very effective technique in capturing fast moving action such as racing cars at the clipping point on bends, etc..

In the studio, models are fairly static to remain in the sweet spot of the lighting so again manual focus is very useful.
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Manual focus lenses can be used with with Focus Peaking, but it isn't an automatic function with those lenses (no electrical connection for it to) but is activated by programming a function key to turn it ON & OFF.

EDIT: I didn't read all posts & see that has been established anyhow.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Thank you both for confirming! Cameras these days take forever to program the way you want them to work and sometimes it is almost impossible to figure out the "manual". I guess that is why they make aftermarket "The Complete, Ultimate _____ manuals" that don't explain it all either.
    I just spent the afternoon RE-educating myself on the magnify focus on my EM5. Just one of the reasons I like my M8 so much, I guess, it's so basic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Just a little update here...
    I brought home a Pen, futzed with it all day and had little luck with the peaking. Also decided almost immediately that it just was wrong for me, unbalanced with larger glass and the Leitz heavy lenses from the past.
    Next day I took it back and came home with the right camera, the EM-1 and vertical grip. Aside from WAY too many buttons, leavers and gadgets, but I am streamlining it down to to my way of E-1 type thinking. Since MF is pretty important to me, Fn2 is peaking and rec is enlarge. With IS, the enlarging is lovely, rock solid and the FP is really solid in red. I find that getting it close in FP and then 3-7X enlarging the rest of the way gets me dang sharp.
    I think I will really like this one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Just a little update here...
    I brought home a Pen, futzed with it all day and had little luck with the peaking. Also decided almost immediately that it just was wrong for me, unbalanced with larger glass and the Leitz heavy lenses from the past.
    Next day I took it back and came home with the right camera, the EM-1 and vertical grip. Aside from WAY too many buttons, leavers and gadgets, but I am streamlining it down to to my way of E-1 type thinking. Since MF is pretty important to me, Fn2 is peaking and rec is enlarge. With IS, the enlarging is lovely, rock solid and the FP is really solid in red. I find that getting it close in FP and then 3-7X enlarging the rest of the way gets me dang sharp.
    I think I will really like this one...
    That sounds like a good move then. Have you updated the firmware to 4.1 as well?
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I was told that 4.0 was the latest. Did 4.1 just come out? Have you updated? Hard to imagine IS could be any better. I usually try to wait till some feedback comes in...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast