Thread: E-System dilemma

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

E-System dilemma

Hi,

I've been using five fantastic top grade four-thirds lenses since 2007 and, since my E3 has finally left me, I'm left with the inevitable upgrade decision - since my choices both go for the same price (USD$930) it's either;

an E5
    PROS
    Complements my lenses
    An optical viewfinder which i like - less electronics to go wrong in the field
    No adaptor needed
    Still a damn good camera
    Two card slot

CONS
    outdated?
    No wifi (no problem)
    Will have to sell all to move into Micro Four-thirds

An EM-1
    PROS
    Flagship camera
    image quality
    Can move into M.Zuiko lenses

CONS
    Electronic viewfinder may break
    One card slot!

Probably many more pros and cons but those are the main ones for me.

You may have your say.

Many thanks
    Warren

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: E-System dilemma

I was in a very similar situation. I had an E-520, E-3, several high grade lenses and accessories. I handled an EM-1 in a camera store and even tested my 50-200mm lens on it, but I just didn't like the ergonomics and electronic viewfinder. I ended up buying a used E-5, which I've really enjoyed. The nice thing about this system is that all of the cameras can use interchangeable batteries and have similar menu systems. That makes it much easier when I cover events or shows.

The only m43 lens that really interests me is the 300mm f4, but that is out of my price range. So I have not made the system change to m43, and I'm not sure that I will in the future.
    Dan Lang

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

There have been so many improvements over the past few years, so I think you're better off with the E-M1. Image quality is much better, handling is much better, and many of the new features are truly useful. Many people get hung up on desire for an optical viewfinder, but the EVF in the E-M1 is outstanding, and it does have some significant advantages over an OVF. Yes, there are tradeoffs, but in use, I find an EVF at least as good overall, and often better. Unless there is some feature of the E-5 that you absolutely need, I think that the advances and upgrade path of the E-M1 make it a better choice. And it's likely that an E-M1 II will be announced soon, so if waiting is an option . . .

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

I would recommend the E-M1 (coming from E30) & have even bought a 50-200 SWD lens to use on it almost a year ago now & glad I have as it works well on the E-M1. With these bigger lenses though I also recommend the HLD-7 battery grip to make it better handling as well as doubling the battery life. The only drawback with the E-M1 compared to the DSLR models (E3, E30 & E5 all use the same AF modules AFAIK) is that it only uses horizontal PD-AF pixels (needing vertical detail) but in most cases it is fine (a rotation of the body for focus lock can get around that too).
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).