Thread: Noise in Lumix cameras

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Noise in Lumix cameras

My main line of camera equipment is Cannon EOS but I had a Lumix DMC FZ28 to carry around. I noticed that this camera has a lot of noise. I gave this away and purchased the newer model FZ100 which seems to have even more noise than FZ28. I found twao identical photos the left hnd one made by FX28 (left) at ISO 100 and the right hand one made by EOS 450D @ ISO 800. Both hand-held. The noise in the Panasonic made photo is terribly higher, although the resolution of the two cameras are too much different (10Mp in Panasonic and 12 Mp in Canon). In my current FX100 the noise level is even higher, although resolution is 14.1 Mp. Is there a reason for this difference in quality? Anyone have made similar observations?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Noise in Lumix cameras

My first reaction there is noise in both, more in the left hand image making the image slightly mushy, but looking closely it is also not sharp, I suspect from the type of unsharpness its camera shake. The right hand image is sharp. If both images were crisp and sharp I think noise would be less of an issue.
    You don't indicate how much the images were enlarged. If the left was shot at a shorter focal length than the right you would have enlarged it more to match the contained image, this would also play its part.
    I don't know anything about the cameras involved, I take no interest in such things until I am in the market to change what I am using. I suspect you are comparing a compact or bridge camera with a DSLR, there is a big difference in capability. The DSLR has a much larger sensor than a compact/bridge camera thus giving superior quality. The age of the cameras can also play a part as technology advances on newer models.
    I do have two LUMIX GH3's and find the image quality even at higher ISO excellent, A3 prints being printed for exhibition.
    There are so many factors to take into account.
    Patrick

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Noise in Lumix cameras

Just checked out the fx28 its a bridge camera, the sensor is probably the size of you little finger nail, much much smaller than the DSLR, if the equivalent number of pixels are packed into such a small sensor noise is the result, technology is improving all the time, but naturally any improvement in small sensor technology will be reflected on larger sensors so the gap will be much the same.
    I used to own a Canon EOS 10D with a six million pixel APS sensor, at 100 ISO it was fine but at 400 ISO it was noisy by the time I was using a 7D with about if memory serves 18 million pixels, 1600 ISO was a breeze. Now my smaller 4/3 sensor on the Lumix can match a 7D for quality. However start heavy cropping and printing the crop to a large print size the 7D will begin to show its metal and a full frame sensor even more so.
    Patrick