Thread: Lens decision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lens decision

As a new user to the Olympus E-M series, I have recently bought an EM-1 body second hand, and am currently using a 12-50 kit lens from my older em-5 and a panasonic 14mm 2.5.

I was originally thinking of picking up the 'trinity' of primes over the next few months, but the reviews of the 12-40 PRO lens suggest that this is a sharp lens, on par with the primes.

I do a lot of landscape photography, as I like sunsets, sunrises etc,I also like street photography but later this year, I will be shooting a family wedding.

I have used primes on APS-c sensor DSLR's and like the way they make you consider your shot before taking a shot, I also love the sharpness that comes with them, but is the zoom on the 12-40 pro going to a better overall purchase?

I would appreciate any considered thoughts from fellow EM Series users

Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Re: Lens decision

Welcome to the Forum.

The primes will always have a slight edge on the zoom lens, but the 12-40 is a bit special and as soon as you start to use it at f/4 to f/8 the difference is hard to tell between it and images taken with primes.

Now that we can easily use higher ISO settings, fast lenses are really only needed if we want that shallow DoF. But now everyone and his wife is knocking out images with highly blurred backgrounds, the novelty has worn off
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply Graham, your thoughts reflect those of one or two other reviews I have read.

It certainly seems to be a very well made and popular lens,it looks like I will be heading down this route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to shoot with the 12-40 on my E-P5 but after acquiring the E-M1 I traded in for a 43s' 12-60 which has a little tighter focal length. With the 12-40 I was always wanting a little wider and a little longer. The Pan. m43s' 7-14 takes care of the little wider and the 43s' 12-60 takes care of a little longer. Both lenses are superb and work flawlessly on the E-M1. This doesn't change the fact that the 12-40 is a superb lens!