Thread: Are you thinking about going mirrorless? Have you already traded in your DSLR?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Question Are you thinking about going mirrorless? Have you already traded in your DSLR?

I am sure quite a few members here have switched from DSLRs or maybe use a Micro Four Thirds body or bodies to complement their DSLR kit and an increasing number are coming from Nikon and Canon.

How was your experience with Micro Four Thirds compared to your DSLR? What was the most challenging aspect of using Micro Four Thirds and what was your motivation in the first place?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts

Re: Are you thinking about going mirrorless? Have you already traded in your DSLR?

Had used a Nikon Df and D600 along with MFT for a while then realized the difference in IQ is negligible for most situations/cases so sold off all my Nikons
    They're just too large , cumbersome, heavy , and expensive to own
    The lack of info on the OVF forced me to chimp all the time which is not a good shooting experience
    The loud noise and vibration of the shutter didn't help either
    What do I miss from the FF DSLRs:
    1) the long battery life
    2) the easy to obtain shallow DOF even with f2.8 lenses
    3) The fast C-AF for fast moving subjects
    4) The availability of many F mount lenses even though MFT arsenal is sufficient for my needs
    I just went to the camera store today and handled some DSLRs, and they're huge , even the baby Canon Rebels
    The lenses are humongous compared to the MFT counterparts
    No, I'm not going back to using DSLR anytime soon
    I may be looking into the Sony A7 line, but even though mirrorless, the supported lenses are still quite large and heavy; and the lens line is still missing quite a bit
    Cheers,

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Re: Are you thinking about going mirrorless? Have you already traded in your DSLR?

Mirrorless hasn't taken off in the US like it has in other parts of the world - I'd be interested to hear why anyone here thinks that is the case?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

I came late to photography – I started with a Fuji handy progressing to the Fuji S9500. I posted on various forums before stumbling across Ian’s sites.

I started using Olympus cameras and probably tried most of the range.

My first foray into Olympus was the E-510 – not too shabby a camera and progressed further until I stumbled across my favourite camera of all time the Olympus E-5 and the wonderful four third lenses – I was hooked on the brand. Anne joined me from the start of our Olympus progression.

Although I enjoyed the E-5 some cameras had to go to fund the new series of micro and so I said farewell to my brute (with battery pack).

I have to say the OM-D E M1 produces what I like, having said that I only use j.peg and the camera does well at that. It is a pleasure when we go on our long walks, bearing cameras and lenses - the micro system is an asset weight wise. Its advanced engine with the current update is beginning to wow me more than the E-5 from the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

It has to be marketing and sales margins. All I see in TV ads and in flyers are Canikon. Most of the local stores don't even carry Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless models. Even the high-end camera stores mention mirrorless just in passing. Their internet sites focus on frequent sales events for Canikon. It's only when you ask specific questions to sales staff, that you realize they do have a good working knowledge and respect for the m4/3 format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still shooting with DLSR's, E-5, Canon, Nikon.

Interested in seeing what 2016 brings with Oly and Panasonic. Still have a few 4/3 lenses.

The micro's are calling................we'll see.

~Cheers~

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm in mirrorless because my E520 died - almost changed the brand to get alternative mirror (wife had little wish) but as already had 2 flashes, couple of standard lenses and as it was also possible to carry m10 with compact zoom in her handbag it was good enough selling argument.

At first I was disappointed a bit of the IQ but that was because compact zoom was not able to compete with ZD 35mm macro I used mostly on other camera.
    For me the mirrorless focuses differently than mirror and it has taken a lot of time to get used to.

edit: oh yeah and I still have E-1 and use it from time to time when I feel that I'd like to use something old
    E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Mirrorless hasn't taken off in the US like it has in other parts of the world - I'd be interested to hear why anyone here thinks that is the case?

Ian
    I have been an Olympus user since I switched to digital back in 2002 or so (C-4040Z, XZ1, E520, E3, E5 & many HG lenses); however, I have not made the transition to m43. The OM-D EM-1 is the only camera that would work with my lenses, and when I tried it out in the camera store to replace my E3, I just didn't like the ergonomics and viewfinder. I ended up buying a used E5 instead.

When Olympus launched m43 in the US, the camera market was on a decline along with the economy. They had very limited exposure in the big boxes like Best Buy, Target and Walmart. Quite frankly, the early Pens were not very impressive, had old sensors and just felt cheap compared to other cameras on display. Photography tends to be a hobby of middle-aged folks in the US. I can say from my own experience that being middle-aged and requiring progressive lens eyeglasses makes using a camera without a viewfinder difficult and not enjoyable (I struggle using my XZ-1 or iPhone). So when m43 entered the US market, the Olympus cameras had three strikes against them, cheap-feel, old-sensor, and no viewfinder. Furthermore, they didn't focus 43 lenses very well. In my opinion, Olympus rushed m43 to the market and the system was not very well thought out from the beginning.

Since the launch of the OM-D cameras that are better built, have a better sensor, and a built-in viewfinder; m43 has been catching on with some photographers wanting lighter gear. The system is used by Thom Hogan, Derrick Story and a few other bloggers that I follow. However, the big box presence is still lacking, and the masses are using smart phones rather than dedicated cameras. I did see an EM-5 Mk II at Best Buy a few months ago, and I was talking with one of salesmen about it. He was also middle-aged and very knowledgeable about photography, and his view was that Olympus gave up after launching the OM-D whereas Sony has been pushing hard with innovation, sensor development and marketing.

This brings up another point, and that is reputation. Among those who interested in photography, Olympus has a reputation of creating fantastic lenses but mediocre bodies with lessor sensors. They also have the bad reputation of dropping formats. I am really hesitant to buy into m43, because I don't have confidence that they (or Panasonic) will support this format for the long term. I was burned with 43rds, and I simply can't afford to spend that kind of money again on a new risky system. And yes, I do consider m43 a system change because the vision of "one beautiful system" has not really materialized. The only camera with PDAF is the EM-1, and I would have hoped to see PDAF in all of the OM-D cameras by now. Will the EM-1 Mk II continue to support 43rds lenses? I don't know.

So, these are a few of my thoughts on why m43 hasn't caught on in the US.

Dan
    Dan Lang

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I should think you are quite wrong in thinking m4/3 will me dropped. Yes Olympus are not dong much with 4/3 but they are along with Panasonic working hard on new models for m4/3. Here in the UK m4/3 is well established from what I have read much more than in the US. As more photographers discover the benefits of the system it will become more popular. I can carry two GH3 LUMIX cameras and my three lenses for less weight than I could with the one Canon 7D and two lenses. I have been the m4/3 user now for a number of years and still produce exhibition quality A3 prints, and I know of those printing to A2.

I think you may be looking at this in the wrong way, m4/3 cameras do give quality results these days, perhaps a dodgy start in the early days but defiantly quality cameras now. My point being if either or both should move on from m4/3 you would still have some great photographic gear, it doesn't stop be good because it's discontinued. From the tone of your post you are on a limited budget so won't be changing ANY new purchase for some time.
    I would say go for it whichever m4/3 brand you decide on.

Patrick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I started "serious" digital photo with Pentax DSLRs (3 of them over the years). Now I'm trying to get rid of the last one (by the way, nobody wants a well used K-r ?)
    I use the small cameras more. And for what I need (mostly look at them on screen), even the old FT E-510 that I recently added to my stable is overkill.

Sent from my thl 4000 using Tapatalk