Thread: Playing around with Bigma

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Playing around with Bigma

Just got my E-M1 back from repair. -> One of the lugs that hold the camera strap to the camera had come loose. - Fortunately the camera was in a carrying case. And the rubber grip at the back had become unglued. - This seems to be a common fault with Olympus. The rubber grip on my E-300, E-3 and XZ-2 have all become unglued over the years. So, while the warranty was still valid, I decided that a repair was in order.

This afternoon, the rainbow lorikeets were making one hell of a racket. I dug out the Bigma, fitted it to the E-M1 via an MMF-3 adaptor and went out to see what I could catch. The Bigma being a 50-500mm lens, I have found that the best way to set the camera up is to set the focus to a single point, the exposure to 1/1000s shutter speed priority and then let the camera do the rest through a combination of setting the aperture and/or varying the ISO.

Today was unfortunately more than a bit overcast and rainy. I had very few keepers. This was the best of a bad lot:

PB140012 by LJGGriffiths, on Flickr

1/1000s, f/6.3, ISO:1600, Focal Length: 500mm. Hand-held.
    Cheers

Larry
    Use: Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, Olympus XZ-2, Canon EOS-6D, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Retired: Olympus E-3, Olympus E-300, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300 1:4-5.6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Playing around with Bigma

Hi griffljg,

I have been looking to practice some critiquing and, as this is posted in the critique forum, I hope you don't mind that I pick on this image!

Getting an interesting picture of a bird on a stick is not easy as they are ten-a-penny, but you have managed to get an image with a bit of action in it, which adds interest. Also, BOAS images are often spoiled by the bird being bisected by the stick, but here the interesting foliage works. The image has nice colours and the whole bird is in focus with a nice catch-light in the eye.

There are two things that for me detract from the image. First of all the artefacts from over-sharpened noise. You shot this at ISO 1600, which will make a grainier image and this has been over-accentuated by the sharpening. I see you have developed the image in Capture One, which I am not familiar with. Does it have the ability to mask the sharpening? Or, can you reduce the sharpening a bit? Also add a little bit of noise reduction to the shot will help clean it up, but not too much as it will soften the image.

When shooting at higher ISOs I often deliberately over expose by half a stop and this reduces the amount of noise. That's not always an option.

The second suggestion to try, if it is available in Capture One, is to remove the chromatic aberrations. If you look at the high-contrast edges such as the big, blurred branch, the bird's foot and wing you will see purple and blue halos. These are caused by lens defects that are often more visible at the more extreme ends of zoom lens focal lengths, especially at the widest apertures, as you used at for this shot. Chromatic aberrations are removable with software such as Lightroom and Olympus Studio.

That said, I really like the image. It's really well composed. The loose diagonal lines of the twigs running through the frame lead up the the focal point of the image, the birds head. Plus, that bold purple contrasts well with the yellow/greens of the plant which nicely frame its head. The flowers are strange and exotic and work well with that exotic looking bird. There is enough depth of field to add context to the image too and the background is blurred just the right amount for my taste.

All the best,

Ivor
    Blog: www.ivorphotography.co.uk

Olympus E-5 and E-510
    Various lenses
    Metz 52 AF1 Digital flash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Interesting comments Ivor. I have tried one of these Bigma lenses & unfortunately, one of its weaknesses is the amount of chromatic aberration, but this pose of the Rainbow Parrots is also common with 'gum blossums'.

I liked the photo for its composition etc plus I also use Capture One (Pro 9) & those adjustments are available in the program but I don't do much adjustments with CA or masking the sharpening so couldn't give much in the way of knowledgeable comments there. Maybe I should go back & just have a go with my past Bigma files in Capture One.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Ivor,

I hadn't really noticed the artefacts brought on by over-sharpening and so they didn't bother me. I have fiddled around a bit with the sharpening using Capture One Pro 9 and didn't notice much of an improvement. So I have left the sharpening as it was originally.

Now as for the chromatic aberration...... I agree with Ross.- These Bigma lenses do tend to display quite a bit of chromatic aberration. COP is usually good at addressing chromatic aberration and lens distortion provided it has been fine-tuned for that particular lens, which is not the case for this Bigma lens. There is a generic setting for chromatic aberration corrections, in which the image is analysed and corrections are then applied. Unfortunately I have met with no success on this one.

I have tried using LightRoom 6.7 and Olympus Viewer 3, but with much the same lack of success. I haven't been brave enough to dive in further. ;-)

My next attempt will be to fiddle around with some of the COP settings to see what I can accomplish.

Watch this space.
    Cheers

Larry
    Use: Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-40mm f2.8 PRO, Olympus XZ-2, Canon EOS-6D, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Retired: Olympus E-3, Olympus E-300, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300 1:4-5.6