Thread: Looking for advice on walking around with large lenses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for advice on walking around with large lenses

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched but didn't know what to look for.

I usually like walking around with my camera and lens around my neck (usually a 12-60 or 50mm)

I just picked up a lens I've been dreaming about for 5 years now and was finally able to afford (150 F2) and was wondering how people would walk around with it normally.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I figure you can't put it around your deck due to the weight possibly damaging the camera, and walking around holding it seems impractical but my best solution.

Thanks for all help and advice
    E-5: ZD 50mm, Sigma 105mm macro, ZD 150mm; ZD 7-14, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD, Sigma 50-500mm, EC-14.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Re: Looking for advice on walking around with large lenses

You can use some of the straps like Black Rapid, etc. , mounted into the lens tripod collar. If you set the length properly, the lens-camera combo should be hanging at your side(or back) at the waist level, still ready to be used anytime.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

A sling type strap attached to the lens tripod foot will work. My usual method is to mount the lens on the tripod/monopod and carry the rig over my shoulder. Having used a few lenses with their own strap lugs I have to say I've never carried them that way. ..
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

I generally use an Optech sling strap attached to the bottom of the battery grip on my E-M5 (the grip has a metal post on the bottom that was designed to attach one end of an Olympus hand grip). I often carry it with large lenses like the 50-200 SWD, and I've never had a problem with it damaging the camera (no damage that I can detect, at any rate . . .)

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    I generally use an Optech sling strap attached to the bottom of the battery grip on my E-M5 (the grip has a metal post on the bottom that was designed to attach one end of an Olympus hand grip). I often carry it with large lenses like the 50-200 SWD, and I've never had a problem with it damaging the camera (no damage that I can detect, at any rate . . .)

- Hal -
    Similar strap-set here. I carry the lens/camera just under my lower part of my arm.

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

I've also finally bought a lens I desired for some time, but not in that same price range, the 50-200 SWD instead & wondered how best to carry it too. The sling strap is a good idea as suggested above (I have used the Q-Strap with Black-Rapid fasteners), but one thing to remember when using a camera with an EVF is the danger of the sun entering it & actually doing some burning damage to the EVF display (remember setting leaves alight with a magnifying glass as a child?). It generally only happens if the dioptre is set about +3 (I think). I decided to try a top loader bag (Lowepro Toploader 75 AW II) & being able to drop the camera with lens & hood into it so the lid can cover the camera when not in use (reversing the hood for normal storage though), but have yet to actually try it in practice. It's not exactly small either.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have a look at Peak Designs stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
    Have a look at Peak Designs stuff
    I've been using OpTech straps for decades and they work beautifully and are built to last. I just switched to the Peak Designs Sling Strap Lite for one reason alone. I have arthritis in my hands and my fingers no longer have the strength to open and close the Quick Release Clips that allow OpTechs' straps to work so well. So far the Peak Designs Quick Release Anchors are much easier on my fingers. Instead of squeezing the clips together on the OpTechs I just place my thumb on the Peak Designs Anchor and push down and it slides right out. So far, so good.
    Bobby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another vote for peak design. Their Capture clip is also worth looking at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I don't have a huge lens, my biggest is the Oly 75-300, but I plan to use the Cotton Carrier vest when I ride my bicycle, with the camera/ lens combo.

The CC hub fits nicely on the E-M5 body.