Thread: Best upgrade from old Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Best upgrade from old Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens??

What cameras will work well with four-thirds ZUIKO ED 50-200mm (non SWD) lens?
    For several years I have been doing a lot of sports photography of my kids, primarily outdoor (soccer, football, surfing), but some indoor (basketball). I have been using the old cheap entry-level Olympus E-510 with a quality ZUIKO ED 50-200mm ED (non SWD). I have money to be able to upgrade the camera…in part because I am way overdue having the freedom to shoot video with the same camera (nearly all have had this for some time) and to gain quality in pictures that I would hope to gain with larger MP sensor and newer processors.
    The dilemma is finding any newer camera that will serve the lens well…within a cost that is fitting. There are few (if any) lenses that can compare to the lens I have…with 50-200mm zoom that because it is four-thirds is equivalent to 100-400mm…and anything close to that in other format / brand lenses is outside my “enthusiast” appropriate cost. From what I see, my options include:
    Using my Zuiko lens on micro 4/3 cameras with adapter not good because they lose most AF functions….likely slower than my current old Olympus E-510.
    Could get the older but higher level Olympus E-5 – full size DSLR but is expensive and only offers 12MP, 720 video.
    Could get the newer (Oct 2013) Olympus E-M1 – added in phase detection that allows 4/3 lens to work better but is $1300 new for body only….and more profesional level than I need.
    Or I could just start over with good enthusiast level Nikon or Canon… but appears getting any comparable lens would be beyond reach.
    I REALLY appreciate any perspective or ideas anyone has.

Equipment:
    Olympus E-510 DSLR
    ZUIKO ED 50-200mm (non SWD) lens
    EC14 1.4x Teleconverter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Re: Best upgrade from old Olympus E-510 for Zuiko ED 50-200mm lens??

First, I don't think switching the camps would help you save some money and get the same quality. Let's say you would buy a "semi-pro" APS-C body (cause CaNikon entry-level is a trash) like 7D or D7000 .
    7D can be actually found used for quite reasonable price, problem is the lens. To get roughly the same focal length range, it would take 70-300 and to be honest, all the 70-300s from Canon are $h1tty, even the L one a even more when compared to Zuiko 50-200.
    D7000 can be found for some 450 USD or so + price of the lens. It actually may be a little cheaper than buying an Oly body, but Nikon's quality control problems (oil on sensor) together with AF problems of D7000 (reported by many) would be keeping me from buying without testing it really well.

As for the E-5, it is still very expensive (compared to other, more recent cameras) even second-hand, at fleaBay for some 850 USD.

The E-M1 can be found new under 1000 USD, I bought mine from some Korean seller 6 months ago for about 980 USD (and had to pay our monstrous VAT), yet still, the body only sells here for 36000 CZK (like 1500 USD) or so, while mine cost like 26000 CZK together with Viltrox 4/3 to m4/3 adapter.
    Did not have chance to fiddle with 50-200 much, just for a while, and was kinda underwhelmed by its' AF performance, but tried that really only for a moment and only in S-AF mode. Mind you, E-M1 does not have any cross-type AF points, so it may have problems to lock on target in some specific cases.
    Plus, with heavier lens like 50-200, you may want to use grip for better balance and to hold it more securely (additional expense).

I can see one E-M1 on eBay for 850 USD... BUT, I would recommend to grab the lens and probably a kid and visit some camera store to try how it works and get the overall "feeling", if it is the right camera to buy, or not.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

The E-M1 (with MMF-3 weather sealed adapter) is certainly a good consideration & there is another firmware update that improves C-AF due on 24th Feb. The E-M1 with the HLD-7 grip does help with handling as well as increasing battery capacity.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It has been really helpful to hear from those who have experience with various options.
    Thanks to each of you.
    It became clear that for my primary goals of 1) capturing family memories...which includes good flexability to have a good pocket camera...and 2) get some quality sports shots with a bit better potential than the E-510 is giving me, and 3) to do so in such a way that I am making good use of the Zuiko 50-200 lens and not getting too invested yet in one direction...
    I have purchased a used E-30 that some have said will bring better results than the E-510...and cost just $280...and plan to get the latest compact P&S Lumix ZS50 for getting some fun video on the fly...including slow-motion / high speed.
    Part of this reason was that the E-M1... would have been too much cost given that it is only decent with the AF for this lens...and still only has decent video. It appears that Olympus may finally be showing some interest in video by what was in the new E-M5II....but that does not help with by 4/3 lens. If I can eventually find a lens with equal potential that is affordable...I will likely then shift to whatever format will serve that going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

That sounds like a good move as the E30 is still a nice camera.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).