Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Ian, you have the comparison chart with Keystone compensation mode on the E-M5 II camera but not on the E-M1. Isn't the Keystone Compensation on the E-M1 Version 2 the same as on the E-M5 II?
    Sorry not to have got back to you earlier - you are quite right and I have now corrected the table

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Just a thought. The new FL‑LM3 Flash has not got an "accessory port" connector, but I read somewhere that there is an extra contact on the hot shoe.

If this is how it gets power, then what else could be powered from there

I wonder if we will see LED Movie lights in the future.
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this is an excellent upgrade! Olympus is continuing to innovate! The two most important things for me is the better viewfinder and the upgraded video functions with 25/50p and a microphone socket. As icing on the cake comes the even better IS (now incredible 5 steps!)and the possibility to steer the camera from your mobile among other things. A very few things are missing such as PDAF. For me it's not important. Olympus is very moderate when they call it "Mark II". It's a completely new camera model! It's in many ways more advanced than the E-M1 but the forthcoming "Mark II" of that model will of course surpass it. A bonus is that it's using the old battery BLN-1 even if it consumes more power. No need to buy new spare batteries.

Well done Olympus!

Per

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

The only notable thing for me is the new grip that's supposed to be Arca-Swiss compatible. I guess we'll find out how compatible when people start using them with the hundreds of clamp varieties out there. Is this the first time a camera maker has designed an Arca-Swiss style accessory?
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Liked 334 Times in 156 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    The only notable thing for me is the new grip that's supposed to be Arca-Swiss compatible. I guess we'll find out how compatible when people start using them with the hundreds of clamp varieties out there. Is this the first time a camera maker has designed an Arca-Swiss style accessory?
    Maybe it is an Arca-Swiss (custom) product with Oly branding, hence the price.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Ross, there are dozens of companies making Arca-Swiss compatible plates and clamps. However, some of them are more compatible than others. I'm guessing there will be gripes that the Olympus grip doesn't work with some clamps.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Ross, there are dozens of companies making Arca-Swiss compatible plates and clamps. However, some of them are more compatible than others. I'm guessing there will be gripes that the Olympus grip doesn't work with some clamps.
    Possibly will be fine with Arca-Swiss perhaps, but maybe some issues with the other manufactured goods. I bought a cheap pano base with that plate mount for the camera but it can't centre the E-M1 (because of its off centre mounting point) without the HLD-7 grip with its centred tripod mount.
    Ross
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Most of my plates and clamps are 20 years old, before everyone and their dog started making them so I've not had any issues. All my clamps are screw type, the lever locking types hadn't been launched back then. Some of the compatibility issues are with lever locking clamps.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Angry Re: Olympus unveils OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    This is a beautiful camera, and the upgrades to the construction, specs, and interface look excellent. But the lack of PDAF is a terrible mistake, IMO, and it's a deal-breaker for me. My biggest question for Olympus is WHY? I imagine that they worry about cannibalizing E-M1 sales, but crippling the latest model in this way always hurts sales and the brand in the end. Technology should allow a lower model to leapfrog a higher one for a time, and other companies (notably Canon and Nikon) have been very successful allowing this to happen. So I'll be waiting for the upgrade to the E-M1 before I buy.

I don't care much about video, but I also would like some honest answers about where Olympus think the video spec and features of this new model fit into the marketplace and intended audience. It's a definite improvement over the E-M5, but lags behind some of its peers. And although it has some advanced, pro-like features, others appear designed much more for amateurs. Dpreview's hands-on report includes some good descriptions of the video issues. (They generally love the camera, BTW, praising its build, feel, controls, and more).

Last question: how does the remote control work from a smartphone? What features and camera controls does it support, and how smoothly does it operate? I haven't seen any detail about this yet.

- Hal -
    I totally agree re the lack of PDAF for us users of older 4/3 lenses. There is no way I am about to mortgage the house to buy new glass. Olympus owes us anyway for abandoning their original 4/3 customers, the least they can do is to provide AF support into the future. Not happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavCal View Post
    I totally agree re the lack of PDAF for us users of older 4/3 lenses. There is no way I am about to mortgage the house to buy new glass. Olympus owes us anyway for abandoning their original 4/3 customers, the least they can do is to provide AF support into the future. Not happy.
    If you want the best for 4/3's lenses, then buy the E-M1. It's come down in price now & in UK & Australia they are also giving away the HLD-7 grip as well as a battery. If you've got worthwhile 4/3's lenses then the price of the E-M1 is worth it.
    Ross

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12