Thread: Newbie Gear List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Newbie Gear List

Hello all.

This is my very first post and having been on forums before related to music I will try and be as informative as possible to get the best advice and 'try not be ' that annoying newb forum users don't like to help.
    I am a musician who has just got the bug for video. I am planning on buying the list below and will be shooting for

Documentary/interviews/music gigs/nursing homes etc
    Weekly fishing show on a bass boat
    Possible local business commercials
    just fun fun fun videos with my 3 daughters,

One side note is on top of the gear listed below I have a full blown professional audio studio at home. I will be editing movies in Sony Vegas Pro 13 (only because it's all I've ever known, but was recently told about Magix as well)

Here is the potential list

Panasonic GH4 (with extra battery and memory cards)
    Lumix GX Vario 12-35mm (was told good starter overall lense)
    Magnus VT-4000 Tripod System
    Sennheiser MKH-60 ( I have many top end condenser, dynamic, pencil, ribbon mics, none are shotgun )
    Rycote Softie Kit for microphone
    Here is where I lose it

Either: Tascam DR-60D PLUS Sound Devices 302 mixer

or

Sounds Devices 702 alone.

I also should mention, not sure if I can use but I own a Nikon D7100 with kit lense of 18-105mm 3.5 and a 50mm 1.4

That's all I can think of to ask. I know it's long but I would appreciate ANY advice before plunking down this type of money.

Thank you in advance

David

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Newbie Gear List

I have the GH4, 12-35, 35-100, and using a Metabones Speed Booster I use my Tokina 11-16 f 2.8 which I had with my Nikon. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm learning a lot about video which is new to me. The GH4 rocks. Have ordered a Rode Stereo Video Mic and look forward to utilizing the 4K potential. So far I've been really happy with the ability to do photo grabs from 1080P and 4K. I am still in the early stages of video editing using Final Cut Pro X and realize I'm back at square 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Newbie Gear List

I also have a GH4.
    I use the 12-35 over 90% of the time, next 35-100, then 100-35, then 7-14.
    I prefer native Pany lens because the the GH4 can focus faster/more accurate with them.
    My SpeedBooster and my Nikkors are not used due to my also having an A7s just for low light, plus they defeat the purpose of a small lightweight camera system.
    I can put the whole kit in my smallest bag.
    The GH4 can be used stand alone (unattended Video) for three hours on one battery and card.
    For best sound, you need an external system. the internal sound can be used to synch it. The shock mount Azden SMX_10 plugged into the camera is good enough for my work.
    My lightweight carbon fiber TriPod is heavy enough for the GH4 and any of my Lumix lens. It's not easy but I have gotten good Video "Hand held".
    I use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit and burn my Videos.

I had a D7100. You will find the GH4 far superior for Video in every way.
    Even 1080P60 is a huge step up for action and that is mostly what I shoot with the GH4.
    Your best video quality will probably be 4k DownRes to 1080P30.

Unless your EyeBulbs are burning out like mine, you will not need an external Monitor. Touch focus on the full swivel LCD is really nice. I use the MustHD 7" at 2X.
    I really need a 4k recorder for the A7s but do not see much improvement over the GH4 codec.

If you can find good used, you will save money.