Thread: New Lenses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

New Lenses?

The many product announcements from Photokina a couple of weeks ago got me excited about the possibility of buying some new lenses. The Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 and matching teleconverter are particularly tempting. But as I've written on FT-U before, I'm uncertain if/how/why this would be better than the 50-200 SWD that I already have. As I pondered and agonized trying to find an answer (and even imagined what I would buy if I moved to a Fuji system), I looked up some objective test reviews of my SWD classics, the 12-60 and 50-200. These are fantastic lenses by almost every measure.

I haven't used my camera much at all for several months, but the photographic urge has recently been sparked again. Last weekend, I went out to a local street festival with a small kit, and took some photos of a clogging group's performance with the E-M5 and Pan-Leica DG 25/1.4. I'll post those photos in another thread in "For the Album." Today I took a trip to the zoo with the big SWD lenses, and I was reminded just how wonderful they are. AF performance is poor with on the E-M5 (especially for the 50-200), but the lenses are so well built, a pleasure to use, and amazingly sharp:

Other than the AF issues, there is no reason to replace these beauties. I'm certain that Olympus will continue to develop their on-chip phase detection AF, and hopeful that they will make a camera (before too long) that delivers on the promise of world-class AF with the older lenses. I just registered for a nature photography workshop in early December, and I had been thinking of renting a 40-150/2.8 (if it's available by then) to try it out and compare to the 50-200. But after today, I'm leaning towards renting an E-M1 for the workshop so I don't miss so many action/wildlife photos with the 50-200, and to see how well the latest firmware works for AF. Then I'll try to be patient for the E-M1 successor, which is probably a couple of years off . . .

- Hal -

p.s. I was really trying to focus on the lions . . . but I'm quite pleased with the way this mistake turned out. The zoo's lion pair had four cubs this summer, and they have just recently been put out on exhibit. More of these adorable kittens to come (some even in focus. )
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Re: New Lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    p.s. I was really trying to focus on the lions . . . but I'm quite pleased with the way this mistake turned out. The zoo's lion pair had four cubs this summer, and they have just recently been put out on exhibit. More of these adorable kittens to come (some even in focus. )
    Hi Hal -

So nice to see the young one - thanks.

Looking forward to seeing more of the kittens.

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Liked 268 Times in 160 Posts

Re: New Lenses?

I like this photo with the foreground focus...
    "Stef" E-620 and stuff...