Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

trick question... It looks like it will only fit the new 40-150mm, f2.8 and the upcoming MFT 300 f2.8.

Mechanically, if it fits the MMF-3 adapter, the protruding elements will be "absorbed" by the adapter's depth, and possibly it will work with the old 300mm in front of the adapter.

But I have my MMF-2 in front of me right now and I believe the new converter would not fit in.

And i'm not talking about electronic and optics yet...

Best regards,

Rogerio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Even if the teleconverter can fit another lens (such as via the MMF adapter), it was obviously designed to work with the new 40-150 and 300mm lenses, so it's optimized to work with those specific lens designs. Teleconverters always result in some image degradation, but the loss of quality is smallest when a lens and teleconverter are "matched" to each other. So using the new TC with an older lens might yield disappointing image quality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Olympus insist that the TC only works with these two lenses because they wouldn't want the TC to get a reputation for hurting image quality.

The 40-150 and TC look like beautiful pieces of kit, IMO, and they are very tempting. I'm not convinced that it's worth replacing my 50-200 SWD with them, however. AF is sure to be blazing fast with the new lens, but future MFT cameras are very likely to improve AF with the older 4/3 lenses as Olympus further develop on-chip phase detection AF. So I would see an immediate improvement with the E-M5, but maybe not so much with future cameras. So many tradeoffs . . . the 40-150 has some nice features, like constant length, MF ring, collapsing hood, and new AF motors. And it's a constant f/2.8. But it needs the TC to match the reach of the 50-200, and attaching it drops the aperture to f/4. The new lens (especially with the TC) really has no size advantage over the 50-200. And it's quite expensive, especially in comparison to spending nothing by keeping the lens I already have.

Temptations and tough choices! And then the 300 f/4 is on the horizon . . .

What are everyone else's opinions of the new lens and TC?

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks as though Olympus did very well with what they chose, maybe one of the best lens and teleconverters they've ever developed. My "want" says go for it! The reasonable side of me says…

For personal use, even I did not already have the 20-200mm SWD f/2.8-3.5, the 40-150mm and MC-14 cost would probably coax me to the 50-200mm and MMF3 adapter. Even at new cost that is a USD 470 difference! And there are quite a few very good used 50-200mm and MMF3 deals out there making them very sweet in comparison.

On the business side, it might take me 12-24 months for a return on investment/cost. Unless the lens/TC can increase my keeper rate by 25% or more - or - the IQ is so much better that it would become obvious in my prints. I think the latter is unlikely. A two week rental will provided me the info I need. However since this would be an unplanned purchase, normally I would wait until the funds were there.

What would it take me to commit to a purchase today? Despite my want level, I really do not want to put cash out there that I do not need to spend. And if I do I also have the hassle of selling the 50-200mm and MMF3 adapter. The only thing I could think of that would get me to commit to buying the new 40-150mm f/2.8 and MC-14 toady would be…

A trade-in program.
    Olympus or authorized dealer would take my trade in of the 50-200 SWD for USD $600 credit on the new lens. And, a trade-in credit of USD $90 for the MMF3 for the new MC-14.

As you said Hal, "Temptations and tought choices! And then the 300mm f/4 is on the horizon…
    Clint

OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    Even if the teleconverter can fit another lens (such as via the MMF adapter), it was obviously designed to work with the new 40-150 and 300mm lenses, so it's optimized to work with those specific lens designs. Teleconverters always result in some image degradation, but the loss of quality is smallest when a lens and teleconverter are "matched" to each other. So using the new TC with an older lens might yield disappointing image quality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Olympus insist that the TC only works with these two lenses because they wouldn't want the TC to get a reputation for hurting image quality.

The 40-150 and TC look like beautiful pieces of kit, IMO, and they are very tempting. I'm not convinced that it's worth replacing my 50-200 SWD with them, however. AF is sure to be blazing fast with the new lens, but future MFT cameras are very likely to improve AF with the older 4/3 lenses as Olympus further develop on-chip phase detection AF. So I would see an immediate improvement with the E-M5, but maybe not so much with future cameras. So many tradeoffs . . . the 40-150 has some nice features, like constant length, MF ring, collapsing hood, and new AF motors. And it's a constant f/2.8. But it needs the TC to match the reach of the 50-200, and attaching it drops the aperture to f/4. The new lens (especially with the TC) really has no size advantage over the 50-200. And it's quite expensive, especially in comparison to spending nothing by keeping the lens I already have.

Temptations and tough choices! And then the 300 f/4 is on the horizon . . .

What are everyone else's opinions of the new lens and TC?

- Hal -
    I think that is an excellent summary, Hal.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

Having used a wide selection on telephotos and tele-converters over the years I never paid any attention to what the makers said would or would not work. I simply went out and shot with them. If the results were good enough for editors it was a usable combination.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

In the "old" 4/3 times, I used my ec-14 teleconverter with my nikon 180mm and 300mm, and it worked very well, but I could work focus and aperture manually.
    With this new converter, the electronics can block the use of any other lens apart from the new 40-150 and the upcoming 300.

Let's wait and see.

Regards,

Rogerio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12