Thread: Rainforest Critique

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Rainforest Critique

My E-M5 had just a little bit of trouble on my trip to the Amazon. One night, there was a very heavy rain, and I discovered after-the-fact that the roof of my hut had several leaks, including one directly above the shelf on which my camera was sitting. All seemed well for a while, but during a walk in the forest the next day, there seemed to be some fog inside. The camera still worked fine, but some of my photos were affected.

This is one of those; it ended up with low contrast, and, well, a foggy look. I did the best I could to salvage it. Have I succeeded? Do you like the composition? Is it a winner or an also-ran?

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Liked 268 Times in 160 Posts

Re: Rainforest Critique

In my view that is one of the best jungle images from your trip, good composition and exposure. Winner in my book.
    "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

Works for me also.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

It works OK but there is so much detail in a scene like this that can't be seen on a small screen. Would look brilliant on a big print though.

Having spent a couple of years trekking and climbing in the rainforests of Papua New Guinea my most abiding memory is the pungent smell of all the aromatic vegetation and the noise of the insects, frogs and birds, something that can't as yet be reproduced on a computer screen. For that reason photographs of rainforest never really take me back to those years.

David
    E-M1, Tamron 14-150mm, ED 75-300mm, ED 60mm, FL50R,
    Canon 7DII, Canon 400mm f5.6L, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, EF 55-250mm, EF 18-55mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Thank you for the feedback. This was one of my favorite compositions as well, so I was disappointed about the fogginess I ended up with. I'm thinking about having a 16x20" print made to enter this in a local photo contest. That should be big enough to bring out the detail. As for the feel of the moisture, smell of the clean air, sounds of the rustling leaves and birds . . . I'll have to work on that.

- Hal -
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

I think that it works very well in describing the type of vegitation encountered in the forest, particularly at ground level. It also provides a great sense of "being there" for the viewer and the slight diffusion, caused no doubt by the condensation on the sensor, adds to the atmosphere by suggesting an environment dominated by dampness.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it needs something as a focal point, it just seems busy all over the place. But certainly not a bad photo.
    "My opinion is greater than my ability"
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

I entered a 16x20" print of the photo above, and one other, in the photo contest. This one was accepted into the gallery show, but the other was not. I was confused because I thought that the other photo was a stronger image:

Joshua Tree Sunset, taken at the Mojave National Preserve

The Amazon photo didn't win any prizes. What really baffled me is which other photos were accepted into the show, and which won prizes. Many of the compositions were dull or just plain bad. Some had technical problems, like poor exposure or focusing. The judge seemed to prefer images with people in them; beyond that, I can't understand what he was seeing. Just goes to show how subjective the art of photography can be. And how wrong judges can be.

- Hal -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    ..... This one was accepted into the gallery show, but the other was not. I was confused because I thought that the other photo was a stronger image:

Joshua Tree Sunset, taken at the Mojave National Preserve

- Hal -
    Hi Hal -

I don't do critique and although I like the other one, this one works well with the various elements.

Regards. Barr1e