Thread: Seeking advice with E1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Re: Seeking advice with E1

Quote Originally Posted by JewelryPhotos View Post
    Holy bat turds! The cheapest I can find it for is almost $200. That's a lot of mullah for something that "hopefully" will work. :-(

I suppose the odds of me finding someone willing to trade one of those lenses for either of my lenses or an extra E1 are pretty slim.

Sigh...
    The new price from OlympusAmerica is US$229. Taking a quick look through the completed sales at eBay, these lenses are going for US$85-150 in used condition.

The lens will do a good job at taking pictures of the jewelry. Olympus has long had a sterling reputation with their macro lenses. Much of their optical work over the years has involved this type of photography and close-up optics in medical use (e.g. endoscopes) and microscopes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T-Lama View Post
    How big details do you need? (i.e. what is the size of jewelery you are shooting and how much it should fill the frame?)
    I would say 14-42 at 42mm and minimum focusing distance should be usable for a close-up, but not for a macro work..

Of course there is a 35mm focal lenght in 14-42 range, but difference is in minimum focusing distance. You can go VERY close to the object with 35mm macro lens. In fact, you can go so close, that you may have problems with lighting, as you will most probably cast shadows, if you'll be too close.
    I was really hoping the 14-42 lens could do it for me. I don't need to close enough to see the snot up a fly's nose, but I do need my jewelry item to be in fantastic focus.

I'd show you a picture example, but I can't figure out how to post a picture here and I don't think I'm up to 6 posts yet so can't add a link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
    The new price from OlympusAmerica is US$229. Taking a quick look through the completed sales at eBay, these lenses are going for US$85-150 in used condition.

The lens will do a good job at taking pictures of the jewelry. Olympus has long had a sterling reputation with their macro lenses. Much of their optical work over the years has involved this type of photography and close-up optics in medical use (e.g. endoscopes) and microscopes.
    Thanks! $85 is very do-able for me to take a risk, but I wasn't able yet to find anything under $165. I'll keep looking.

BTW, a lot of these places say works with E3 or with E5 and they don't mention E1. If something fits an E3 or an E5, will it automatically also fit an E1... or not necessarily?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks! $85 is very do-able for me to take a risk, but I wasn't able yet to find anything under $165. I'll keep looking.

BTW, a lot of these places say works with E3 or with E5 and they don't mention E1. If something fits an E3 or an E5, will it automatically also fit an E1... or not necessarily?
    Yes, the cameras all use the FT (Four-Thirds) system lenses. The E1 doesn't get mentioned much as it is the earliest of the Olympus FT cameras and has been out of production the longest. I have an E-1 myself and it still works like a champ.

By the way, this site has a large amount of information on the cameras and lenses in the Wiki (look under the "Knowledge" tab at the top :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
    Yes, the cameras all use the FT (Four-Thirds) system lenses. The E1 doesn't get mentioned much as it is the earliest of the Olympus FT cameras and has been out of production the longest. I have an E-1 myself and it still works like a champ.

By the way, this site has a large amount of information on the cameras and lenses in the Wiki (look under the "Knowledge" tab at the top :-)
    Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I know it must be tedious dealing with people who know so very little and seem lost, but I'm really grateful for your help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

If the lens is for 4/3s, then it will work on any 4/3 camera body, including the E-1.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T-Lama View Post
    If the lens is for 4/3s, then it will work on any 4/3 camera body, including the E-1.
    Thanks. That was one of the things I wasn't sure about. These cameras are SOOOOO different from when I used to do film photography.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I know it must be tedious dealing with people who know so very little and seem lost, but I'm really grateful for your help.
    No problem at all helping you. I've been greatly aided by others over the years (decades actually <g>) and it is simple courtesy to pass along information to others...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So just to be sure (while I'm looking)... "OM mount" and "C mount" are entirely different animals and will NOT work with my E1... correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm confused (I know that probably comes as a big shock)... why does this listing say "focus type: manual"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Zuik...item35d17bbb35

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast